× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: LAN Port vs LED Port Light

LAN Port vs LED Port Light

I just noticed something really wierd with my router.  I have LAN ports 1 and 2 being used, yet the LED indicators show I'm using ports 3 and 4.  I've never had this happen before.  I guess I shouldn't be too worried but my OCD is kicking in.  Has anyone else noticed this or did I get a defective one?

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 32

Accepted Solutions
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

No need to worry. Netgear are aware of this so it's my understanding they will be working on a fix.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 32

All Replies
XRaptor29
Luminary

Yeah, it's backwards on the back of the router. 4-1 should be 1-4 but it's not. The front is right. What they could do is probably adjust the firmware to make 1-1 etc.

I have my Ethernet plugged into 4 and 3 on the back and it shows up as 1 and 2 on the front.
Message 2 of 32
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

No need to worry. Netgear are aware of this so it's my understanding they will be working on a fix.
Message 3 of 32

Thanks XRaptor29 for confirming I'm not the only one.  I did the same thing as well so that 1 and 2 would be lit.

Also, thanks Netduma-Fraser for confirming this will be addressed.

Message 4 of 32
YoDaDDY
Guide

I just got mine a few days ago and have the same issue.  Drove me nuts looking at it so i swithced them on the back to correspond with one and two one.   Also my Credentials sticker was stuck on the top making this sleek looking router look ghetto so i "tried" to peel it off bu i think they stuck it on with super glue. I'll get some rubbing alcohol to get the rest of it off.  I am just really irritated spenind this kind of cheese to have such a cheap feeling product at this point. 😞  On a more positive note, the unit seems to be working fine...

Message 5 of 32
Killhippie
Prodigy

It should have not gone though QA like this, a pretty big mistake really. Shm

Message 6 of 32
Killhippie
Prodigy

Looking at the PDF for the XR500 it shows Ethernet port 1 is closest to the WAN port as it should be, not the furthest away as it is on mine and many other XR500's. So that would seem to indicate that the current XR500's or at least some of them have had the port designation printed the wrong way round. Thats a real blunder. I hope Netgear will be replacing those units to those effected. (Thats if this PDF is correct of course)

https://www.download...XR500_UM_EN.pdf

Message 7 of 32
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Thanks for the additional information, all we've been told is that they are looking into it further so I can't comment on that as I don't know either way.
Message 8 of 32
Killhippie
Prodigy

That’s a real shame, Fraser. You would think they would’ve managed to work out what they could and couldn’t do with their own hardware by now. I’m sure many people are past their return date as well if it does turn out to be hardware issues, and even if it is cosmetic at that price people deserve to get what they paid for which is a router without port assignment issues. Thanks for letting us know the current situation anyway let’s hope it gets sorted out sooner rather than later as this really shouldn’t of happened in the first place. Take care 

Message 9 of 32
rckrz6
Guide

wow i just noticed this, i think they made a mistake numbering them in the back, not really a big deal though.  The sticker glued on the top of the router is pretty stupid though.  I have also seen a number of these routers that come scratched near the wifi on/off button and wps button

Message 10 of 32
Killhippie
Prodigy

Considering the price you are paying for it, it should not come with reversed ports, thats like buying a car with the backseats in the front yes you can drive it but its now how it should be. I hope it can be fixed... I'm not sure if later batches have the ports in the correct position or not. The sticker is is in the most stupid place and if you are not careful peeling it off will leave a mark on your router, that sticker is stuck down way to hard. The router itself is great mind you.

Message 11 of 32
YoDaDDY
Guide

I for one feel ripped off, and this has left a very bad taste in my mouth with Netgear. Not getting any more of my money.
Message 12 of 32
Killhippie
Prodigy

Its only cosmetic, and I'm sure netgear will try and fix it, if not maybe a later batch will have the ports the right way round. I would contact netgear support and let them know, see what they say. I just have plugged my PS4 into port 4 (Port 1 on the front) it makes no odds as I said its just asthetics and hidden at the back, but I can understand you wanting it to be as it should be I do as well. Maybe post here after talking with Netgear and see what they say, or contact as a first port of call whoever you bought it off and see what they suggest. Its a great router, so worth sticking with.

Message 13 of 32
YoDaDDY
Guide

No it's not "just" cosmetic to me.  I did contact theor HORRIBLE customer support with no help.  This router also replace an Asus RT-ACRH13 which I honeslty see no improvement over.  I would LOVE a refund as I can not affor to spend $300 for something that is half ass made, under what is clealy bad QA inspection in a LARGE batch.   Who's to say this bad QA did not trickle down to the other components on this product.  Netgear has been contacted by myself, no help, they have seen these posts here and all over YT as well.   I am stuck with this unit and my hard earned $300.  Let me take a key down the side of your new corevette......it's just cosmetic and will still run right?????

Message 14 of 32
Killhippie
Prodigy

To be honest it’s just Portman bring the wrong way round on the back of the router netgear will probably fix this as to your remark about keying a car  there is no comparison that is not the same at all your router does not have a huge gouge in it,  there is no need for that on this forum people try to be polite here.  If you can’t see the difference between your other router and this one then why didn’t you just send it back? 

Message 15 of 32
Killhippie
Prodigy

Sorry for the typos, as I was saying it’s just port assignment that’s wrong it will get fixed one way or another it does not affect the  routers performance, the people who make the casing don’t make the PCB the people who make the PCB don’t make the firmware and the operating system so your theory holds no water, if you’re that upset with it just sell it. End of conversation.  

Message 16 of 32
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Did you contact their phone line as you should have been very good support if so.

If you're not seeing the benefit of the router then it will not be setup correctly.

From there I would recommend running the tours on QoS & the Geo-Filter by clicking the ? icon in the top bar next to the logos to get to grips with how the features work.

Generally we recommend Anti-Bufferbloat set to 'Always' with 70% sliders for both upload & download. Then on the Geo-Filter select your device and choose the profile of the game you're playing to set up the map settings accordingly.
Message 17 of 32
JasonN
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi YoDaDDy,

I am sorry that you're irritated but you have not explain what your issue is. As for the LAN Port vs LED Port issue, it has been escalated to the L3 team in an earlier thread. 

If you have another problem instead of the LED issue then please create a post in the correct location so we can try to help fix your issue. :]

- Jason N

Message 18 of 32
Killhippie
Prodigy

I think he is upset about the messed up port assignment on his router where the numbering on the back is not correct with that on the front LED's. so Port 1 on the back is port 4 on the front. As you say its been escalated to L3 but a definitive answer would be ideal so people know where they stand, and how this can be sorted out on what is otherwise a great router.

Message 19 of 32
JasonN
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Killhippie,

Thank you for your response. It is definitely not a performance issue to the device but I will check in with my internal team and see what the status is. Thank you for your thoughts on our XR500. :]

- Jason N

Message 20 of 32
Killhippie
Prodigy

I'm guessing this is not being fixed in firmware and will need hardware to be fixed, even though it does not affect performance, its not great that this issue has occurred and still no resolution in forum from Netgear. So what happens to people with the XR500 with the bad port assignment printed on the back? For the price paid I imagine many will want their router to be as it should with port 1 nearest the wan port rather than the current port 4 mislabelling.

Message 21 of 32
JasonN
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Killhippie,

Like I said, I have escalated the issue to my internal team and they are working on a resolution.

- Jason N

Message 22 of 32
Killhippie
Prodigy

Any news? This has now been going on since release and Netgear must have an answer by now. I think its less LED reversal and more ports printed the wrong way round, but guessing does not help, a definitive answer is in order. This is a great router, and people spending this kind of money need to know their options if no firmware fix is in sight.

Message 23 of 32
rckrz6
Guide

Netgear will mail you a sticker will probably be the fix
Message 24 of 32
XRaptor29
Luminary

This is funny, even the Box the router came in shows the port numbers the same way as the routers. So it is by design, they just need to update the router to have port 1 go to 1 on the front.

Since the router is using NETGEARS Firmware it's probably set by default that port 4 is technically port 1 since it lights up on 1 like the rest of their router's. Also in the router settings show port 4 as port 1.
Message 25 of 32
Discussion stats
  • 31 replies
  • 13 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7