× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Lag while raiding playing Everquest mmorpg

EQJunky
Guide

Lag while raiding playing Everquest mmorpg

I’m getting lag while raiding, burning while playing Everquest mmo. I have a fiber connection with 1000 download and 40 upload. I have my XR500 router QOS set to 90 upload and 90 download. 60% of my bandwidth applied to the PC I’m playing on. The s8000 switch is in gaming mode. I have QOS applied through the router and the switch is just in game mode but not limiting any bandwidth in settings. I just built the PC, Intel 9900k, Asus max hero mobo, 16gigs ddr4, rtx2070. Win 10, Latest drivers etc. I don’t think it’s a hardware problem. I think it’s something related to my network settings. I was adjusting my network QOS to dsl reports best settings but I was told not to. Not sure if it’s my router QOS settings or what? I’ve tried using ping plotter to saturate my connection and adjust QOS but it’s not working because of the fast download speed. Suggestions?
Model: CM1000|Ultra-High Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS® 3.1 Ready, GS808E|Nighthawk S8000 Gaming & Streaming Advanced 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Plus Switch, XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 21
plemans
Guru

Most sites recommend disabling QoS above 500 mbps.  Is there a reason you've setup qos with a 90mbps speed when you have a gigabit connection? have you tried disabling it? 

Message 2 of 21
EQJunky
Guide

I’m sorry if I wasn’t clear. I have the QOS upload and download sliders set to 90 which I believe lowers my upload and download bandwidth by 10%. Most of the videos I’ve watched on QOS and bufferbloat recommend leaving some headroom in the que?
Model: CM1000|Ultra-High Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS® 3.1 Ready, GS808E|Nighthawk S8000 Gaming & Streaming Advanced 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Plus Switch, XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 3 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Since you download is greater than you upload, try setting the download slider to 99% and leave your upload slider at 90%. 

When you gaming are others online streaming data from the internet? If not and your the only one online playing games, you could set both sliders for 99% and see how that does. 

For most 1Gb services, QoS could be disabled however the Upload should match the download speeds for this to be effective. 

@EQJunky wrote:
I’m getting lag while raiding, burning while playing Everquest mmo. I have a fiber connection with 1000 download and 40 upload. I have my XR500 router QOS set to 90 upload and 90 download. 60% of my bandwidth applied to the PC I’m playing on. The s8000 switch is in gaming mode. I have QOS applied through the router and the switch is just in game mode but not limiting any bandwidth in settings. I just built the PC, Intel 9900k, Asus max hero mobo, 16gigs ddr4, rtx2070. Win 10, Latest drivers etc. I don’t think it’s a hardware problem. I think it’s something related to my network settings. I was adjusting my network QOS to dsl reports best settings but I was told not to. Not sure if it’s my router QOS settings or what? I’ve tried using ping plotter to saturate my connection and adjust QOS but it’s not working because of the fast download speed. Suggestions?

Message 4 of 21
EQJunky
Guide

Thanks Furry,

I'm normally the only one using the internet. My main priority is lag while raiding in Everquest on my PC. I have seen several vidoes that recommend leaving the QOS sliders in DUMA at 70 for upload and download. I have also heard a lot of people recommend adjusting the sliders according to the best bufferbloat readings via dsl reports. I've also tried saturating my connection and adjusting the sliders while monitoring the connection with pingplotter but my internet speed makes it difficult to properly saturate the connection. And now I'm hearing that you should disable QOS all together with gigabyte internet speed. It's just a little confusing. I seem to only get lag when we are raiding and there are 54 players piled on top of one another all hitting our buttoms at the same time. 

Message 5 of 21
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

So you have a gigabit connection is that right? Anti-Bufferbloat may not be as effective here but I would suggest you use Traffic Prioritization. Find the ports online for the game and make a manual rule for that. That will put your gaming packets ahead of everything else.
Message 6 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Based on if your the only one gaming then QoS and the sliders are really not needed. If you were gaming and you have others online using bandwidth, then enable QoS and the slider would be recommended, however if your the only one online gaming, Try QoS and everything else disabled. 

Message 7 of 21
EQJunky
Guide

Would that be under port forwarding? How would I do that in DumaOS? I found the ports for portforwarding online, TCP: 1024, 7000 and UPP: 1024, 6000. I'm not sure where to set that up in DumaOS?

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 8 of 21
EQJunky
Guide

Ok Furry, I will give that a shot. Thanks a lot!

Message 9 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

If your using uPnP and your router is the only router online between your PC and the modem and the modem doesn't have any router built in, Port Forwarding shouldn't be needed. 

Message 10 of 21
EQJunky
Guide

Yes I have UPNP enabled.

Message 11 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Shouldn't need any PF configurations then. 

Message 12 of 21
EQJunky
Guide

Ok thanks Furry, I'll try out those settings the next time we raid.

Message 13 of 21
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I was referring to Traffic Prioritization at the bottom of the QoS page. Add an advanced rule, leave the source ports as they are and add those as the destination ports 1 port/rule at a time.
Message 14 of 21
EQJunky
Guide

Thanks Fraser! Appreciate your help!

Message 15 of 21
EQJunky
Guide

Even if no other people are using bandwidth in the house, I was under the impression that having the QOS sliders adjusted to 70 give or take would help with network queuing while gaming. Like lag caused when all of your bandwidth is used up and the packets are Qued causing lag? A lot of videos out there suggest adjusting the QOS sliders according to your best dsl reports bufferbloat results. I guess there is just a lot of misinformation out there? Sorry, just trying to learn here. Thank you
Message 16 of 21
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It definitely helps with that and preventing other devices from causing you to lag. However, Traffic Prioritization is specifically designed to priotize your gaming traffic over everything else. So much so that it actually supercedes QoS to ensure other devices can't interfere with that gaming traffic.
Message 17 of 21
EQJunky
Guide

Should I still keep duma os classified games enabled with the ports selected under prioritization? My PC is the only thing I use to play games and I only play the one game that I’ve selected ports for.
Message 18 of 21
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You can disable the classified games option then in that case. Let us know how you get on!
Message 19 of 21
EQJunky
Guide

How I get on? How it works out?
Message 20 of 21
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Yeah that's right.

Message 21 of 21