× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Latency on Xbox One S test higher on new replacement XR500 than previous

droesw
Guide

Latency on Xbox One S test higher on new replacement XR500 than previous

I recently received a replacemnet XR500 because my previous on was having issues. I've been told it's not the most accurate thing, but I have been running some speeds tests also off of my xbox one through ethernet, in addition to regular tests on the computer, also by ethernet. I noticed since first starting to use that the latency number through that test is about 10 ms higher than it was on the previous XR500 I had. I used to get around 60 ms latency but the new one usually gives me around 70 ms. Even after noticing this I switched back to the old modem to run the test and got about 60 like normal. Then I hooked the new one back up and got about 70 again. Then I switched them around like that again and still got about 10 ms higher on the new one. I've been playing around 5 days since getting the new one and the latency number still hasn't gone back to what I used to get. I also run tests on speedtest but on there I get about the same ping that I used to get, being about 11 ms. Also I tried factory resetting both the router and the xbox itself, but still hasn't changed anything.                  Any Ideas? Like I said I know this isn't regarded as a very accurate test but the fact that I've put them side by side at the same time and get noticeably different results on my new replacement router  has me concerned that I'm getting worse latency than I should be with this new one.                    

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

If switching modems around changes the ping, then it would be a modem issue. 

Message 2 of 17
droesw
Guide

The most recent firmware, V2.3.2.40 .     And I don't know if I typed the description wrong but I'm not switching between modems. I'm switching between XR500 routers. I had to get a replacement XR500 but the new one is constantly giving me a higher latency result than the old one. I got the modem from my isp spectrum. It is a docsis 3.1 and it's model is Ubee e31u2v1.

Message 3 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

What are your pingplotter.com test results with a PC directly connected to the ISP modem, then connected thru the XR router? 

Message 4 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I would not worry about the ping you're seeing in the console network settings, this is just your ping to an authentication server i.e. just checking that you're able to play online because you have a paid account. This ping does not impact your game ping in the slightest and will not give you a more negative experience.
Message 5 of 17
droesw
Guide

If I’m not mistaken I’ve heard this number is based off Microsoft’s server in Seattle. Even though I’m not usually connecting to the west coast it doesn’t make sense for my latency number through this test to be worse on my newer xr500 than the old faulty one. Wven if it’s just testing my ping to this Seattle server wouldn’t that still mean that it’s going to connect slower to any server ot connects to??? I’ve literally put the routers side by side at the same time for these tests and always get higher latency on the new one. Even if it’s not the same server I would usually connect to it doesn’t make sense for the 2 routers to have different numbers for the same tests.
Message 6 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If your Geo-Filter is enabled at the time of the test it might be blocking one you would usually ping and ping another. No it wouldn't affect you in regards to game servers and wouldn't increase your ping to the servers. The game servers that you connect to will be in the same place regardless of that ping so it won't increase it.
Message 7 of 17
droesw
Guide

That doesn't make sense to me that it wouldn't be affected. If I'm getting higher latency to that specific server than I did by using the other XR500 that I previously had then it only makes sense for it to have the same higher latency result with any server I connect with. Doesn't make sense that I get worse numbers for this router considering I'm doing the same test I did with the other. And also my geo filter and all other settings are set up the exact same as my previous XR500

Message 8 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I'll try and explain it as much as I can with the help of an analogy as well. It's just an authentication server to say 'yes I'm here, allow me to play online' so doesn't matter what the ping to it is.

Think of a theme park, you purchase the fast track tickets online so you can walk straight through the gate without waiting (lower authentication server ping). You go to purchase fast track tickets at the gate once you're there and have to wait. In either case once you're in you're in - you don't have to go through the gate again. You bought the same tickets either way and once you're in the tickets are the same and you don't have to queue up for any of the rides (games) regardless of how you entered the park. Does that help at all?
Message 9 of 17
droesw
Guide

That kind of makes sense, but I still don't understand why this router gets worse results from this test than I did with my other XR500. I even hooked up my old router, being a netgear ac1750, and even this router gets better results than the XR500 I have now. The old ac1750 is usually getting about 65 ms while this new router is still getting around 70 ms. It's just hard for me to believe that I'm not being affected in some way by whatever issues I have with this router, whether it being gaming latency or something else. It just doesn't make sense for my old router to get better numbers than this new XR500 that is supposed to be far superior.

Message 10 of 17
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Is the ping between devices on the local network different between the routers?

Message 11 of 17
droesw
Guide

Ok, I did the ping tests on both routers, and then realized the ping on each router is generally the same except for when I run the test through ethernet on the XR500. Running the test through ethernet on the XR500 gives me about 14-15 ping while running it through wifi on the same router or either test on my old router gives me about 11-12 ping.  After noticing this I ran the xbox latency test on Wifi and got about the same latency numbers that I used to get on my old XR500. I then connected the xbox back to ethernet and got a higher result of latency by about 6-8 ms like I was before. Seems to be a problem with the ethernet on the router I was given.

Message 12 of 17
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

That's interesting... Have you tried multiple LAN ports on the back of the router? Maybe it's only one that isn't working.

Message 13 of 17
droesw
Guide

Well when I first noticed this issue I tried switching to the 2nd port and ran the latency test on my xbox, and still got the same high latency results, but only tested ports 1 and 2. I haven't done ping tests on other LAN ports yet

Message 14 of 17
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

I think it's unlikely that two ports out of four would be broken so I think that's a good enough test to determine that it's probably not specific to one port. It sounds like this may be a hardware issue.

Message 15 of 17
droesw
Guide

So does that mean the only way to fix this problem would be to request a replacement router?

Message 16 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If that was the problem then yes. A slight increase in ping like that I don't think would be down to a faulty port. It's more likely that QoS is not optimised for your connection at the moment.
First follow this guide: http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000077073-dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-q...

Then I'd suggest saturating your connection (downloading heavily, streaming etc) while following this guide and adjusting Anti-Bufferbloat until you find the settings that keeps your ping as stable and low as possible http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000074717-diagnose-modem-internet-service-pr...
Message 17 of 17
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7