× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Link Aggregation

BHoo
Aspirant

Link Aggregation

is the 4 LAN port of XR500 support link aggregation?

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 5
BHoo
Aspirant

thanks for your information!. As I have a Synology NAS which has 2 LAN ports with link aggregation, and I am going to buy a new router and NR500 is one of my choice. So it seems NR500 can't fulfill my requirment......  

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 2 of 5
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

As mentioned the XR500 does not support link aggregation as far as I am aware.
Message 3 of 5
schumaku
Guru

@Case850 wrote:

Is that a hardware or software implementation of Link Aggregation on the Synology NAS?

Linux bonding driver.

Syno does (like other major NAS vendors) also support Adaptive Load Balancing (ALB) which does allow the LAG creation to non-managed switches.

FWIW: Netgear does use the very same Linux bonding driver to create the Link Aggregation on the routers supporting it (like the R8500, R8900/R9000) - they logically map two switch ports to become system/CPU ports, so this does become possible.

Message 4 of 5
schumaku
Guru

@Case850 wrote:

The reality is these Netgear Routers are not "God Boxes", Netgear might Market them as such but as the R8900 & R9000 show with their numerous problems Netgear cannot deliver on their Marketing.

It's by far not as bad as you still try to imply. This includes 802.11ad on the R8900/R9000 support for the users having this tech available in the (aging) clients.

@Case850 wrote:

Link Aggregation is best done in Hardware and on an external switch connecting to a NAS.

Linux Bonding is perfectly sufficient on these units - the processors are powerful enough - to provide aggregated bandwidth either to a NAS or to a switch infrastructure. This allowed to add alternate static LAG config options by community request. And it works like a charm. Nothing wrong with it at all.

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7