× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Local device connection and router access through browser drops daily

Xyruss
Aspirant

Local device connection and router access through browser drops daily

Hi All,

Have tried googling these issues to my best capacity and am still stumped. I am past my return period and am hoping I can make this router work. I am not very knowledgeable in IT subjects but I have a basic understanding and can troubleshoot on my own reasonably well. However, you might have to excuse my lack of correct terminology here...

I am in a rural area so my ISP is through a satellite dish to a small wall plug in "modem" which is connected to my xr500. I belive the ISP IP is dynamically assigned and nothing I can do about that due to the nature of the service.

The main issues I have at the moment is pertinent to my desktop which is connected via ethernet (CAT5) to the router. The first issue I have is that I cannot access the router via routerlogin.net. A solution I have found is resetting the router, but this is required daily if i ever want to login. I also have a 3D printer connected to my local network via a raspberry pi and wifi dongle. Same issue; the pi server wont show up in my local network from my desktop unless I restart the router. Also, when playing on my PS4 with friends, I constantly get NAT type errors in party chats. I had this issue with my previous router so that might just be nature of my ISP assigned IP. not matter what I try I cannot get an open NAT (forwarding the ports, setting a static IP, etc.)

When I use my laptop over WIFI I dont have either of these issues. I am sure these issues are a result of the same casue, and from my reading I suspect it may have to do with DCHP leasing.

I have tried to assign a static IP to my desktop by setting an address reservation for my desktop in the LAN settings of DumaOS.

If anyone knows of a solution that may help it would be greatly appreciated

Additional notes:

- Firmware is V2.3.2.40

- My desktop maintains an internet connection the whole time

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 4
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Re: Local device connection and router access through browser drops daily

Hi,

Thank you for the very clear information.

So as I understand it, you are only experiencing an issue when you connect via LAN (wired). A few questions:

1. When you are wireless, can you always access routerlogin.net, even when other devices cannot?
  2. The next time you are not able to access via routerlogin.net, could you try using the default gateway address instead of routerlogin.net. The default is 192.168.1.1, but if might be different. The easiest way to check is to open command prompt and type in the command ipconfig and press enter. Then look for the gateway address in there.
  3. Does the 'modem' have a user interface you can access? It's likely to be causing you the NAT problems. The best solution is to get the router in a DMZ on the modem (or set the modem to 'modem mode' or 'bridge mode'). But I'm not sure that';s even possible with yours

Thanks.

Message 2 of 4
Xyruss
Aspirant

1. Yes I can access it at all times with my wireless devices

2 & 3. I contacted my ISP and they updated the settings so that my connection is bridged to my router and opened up my NAT. I also turned off DHCP and I havent had my LAN connection issues come up yet. Ill keep going and see if the issue comes back then I will try using the gateway IP. I believe I did try using the gateway before but it didnt work.

we have also reached our bandwidth cap for the month so i am waiting until the turnover (tomorrow) to test my NAT settings on ps4. Last night when I went to work on my printer my desktop stil had access without needing a restart. ill go further with testing (turning off pc, etc.) to see if i can recreate the problem I had

Thanks for your help so far! never considered there was something on the "modem" side which would be causing the NAT issues

Message 3 of 4
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay that's great news, keep us updated to see if you encounter any of the issues since your ISP did that for you
Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7