× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Looking at buying a XR500...

chuckmorr1s
Aspirant

Looking at buying a XR500...

I currently have BT FTTP broadband 330mb up and 50mb down using the BT homehub 6.  

I like the look of the geo filters on the XR500 and the network management tools to get the best connection for online gaming with a PS4, mainly Fifa 19.

I noticed that the XR500 doesn't have a modem, will I need to still use the homehub in a bridge mode? or could I get rid of that entirely and use the XR500?

Thanks in advance 🙂

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

The XR series is a router only model. No built in modem.

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the NG router to the modem, LAN to LAN configure AP mode on the NG router.

Message 2 of 9
Hate
Apprentice

As of right now, I would recommend you DON'T BUY IT.

It's an absolutely great router, on paper. It has yet to be executed perfectly yet. You are buying into a "paid beta router" honestly. There are some make or break issues for users currently (LAN ports disconnecting randomly, only 1 VPN service to use (Hidemyass) [they are most likely getting a kickback for users subscribing].

I can look back to the beginning of this year about features that were supposed to be in by now, but nothing yet (Dual VPN, Ping Assist).

I want this router to exceed, but Netgear isn't giving it the support it needs. I won't bring the Netduma team into this because it's hard to tell if they are submitting stuff or not to Netgear for release, but 6-month releases are absurd for its current state.

Save your money, $300 is not anywhere close to what this router should go for in its current state, maybe down the road.

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

If you have access to a Costco, you can get the XR450 from there at around $100 less than the 500, SAME hardware accept for the 2.4ghz radio is all. 

Message 4 of 9
Hate
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

If you have access to a Costco, you can get the XR450 from there at around $100 less than the 500, SAME hardware accept for the 2.4ghz radio is all. 

Looks like this deal expired yesterday, 11/4/18. 

At $150, I would have said sure, try it out, but not at $250.

Message 5 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

I got mine for $200 about 4 months ago. I not sure if costco lists prices regionally or across the board. I see it's not available where i got mine. 

Maybe going out of stock. The 450 was a costco only release. 

Message 6 of 9
pinkfloyd
Tutor

I just returned my XR500, it has some great features but to be honest I dont have the time to try to find the right settings so I can play a game. I am not a big COD player but it seemed like after every game I would need to change settings so the next game would not lag or give me issues. I am a big BF player and since that game is really not supported, I just went back to my ASUS rt-3100. I have never had issues with this router since it came out and also with Merlin's FW, it works great. I wanted to try this router but I should have known better to trust NG products, I have always had issues with there stuff. I use the QOS bandwidth limiter 20 down 10 up on my ps4 and man I have no issues with lag, even on cod. I have at&t internet 1000 down 1000up, so I have more then enough bandwidth to go around. 

I would say try the asus 3100 man you will like it in my opinion.

Message 7 of 9
P111
Luminary

I must confess I would not recommend it either. Thing is it just has too many bugs in it. Manual priorities can't be set. It doesn't recognise enough games. Mine just stopped working for no reason at all last night. I had to manually reset it. I mean my last router just worked for four years then this thing can't work for two weeks. Even at the best of times it's over-priced. I would certainly wait until they have some of the bugs out of it and the price has dropped a bit.

Message 8 of 9
chuckmorr1s
Aspirant

Thanks for the info.  Massively appreciated.

I mainly play FIFA 19 and from the research I've done, it doesn't look like it is supported.  Coupled with what you guys have said, I will leave it until its more stable.

Thank you!

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7