× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Looking into buying the NETGEAR Nighthawk Pro Gaming XR700

PenguinGatez
Follower

Looking into buying the NETGEAR Nighthawk Pro Gaming XR700

XR700-100NAS (Model number of what i'm thinking of buying) 

Hi everyone, I'm looking into buying the NIghthawk pro gaming XR700 and i have some questions I'm hoping someone can answer. I live with roommates and our modem, router are in my room. My roommates live on the other side of the house, and i believe they have a extender on their side of the house to boost the signal for Wifi. I'm directly Wired to our current router. Also believe they have the cameras connected to the router also. Think there might be one more thing connected that's about it. Anywho, we recently were having internet issues and a technician came down fixed everything and gave us a new modem and router. The issue with this new router is 1) It doesn't have a IP address to log into the router and 2) We've notice things buffering that were not before and my World of Warcraft has a lot of packet loss, lagging like crazy. Which why we're looking into this router. My main question and our concern is will it be able to connect multiple wifi connection? I believe I'm the only doing hard core gaming in the house, everyone else just watches Netflix,Hulu,vude, etc. As right now i believe everyone has their phones connected to the wifi, there might be iPad and maybe some streaming boxes like Roku or firestick. To be safe I'll say probably 10-15 devices connected to the wifi at any given time. Will Nighthwak pro gaming XR700 be able to hand that many differen't wifi connections? Thanks for anyone that can give an answer (: Have a nice day. 

Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Looking into buying the NETGEAR Nighthawk Pro Gaming XR700

Having two routers on the same line is not recommended. 

This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem.

You may want to try the XR500 router first. Uses same OS as 700 however is priced less than the 700 and probaby not need some of the features that the 700 comes with. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Routers/Nighthawk-XR700-VS-XR500-Inquiry/td-p/...

Message 2 of 3
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: Looking into buying the NETGEAR Nighthawk Pro Gaming XR700

Either the XR500 as mentioned above or the XR700 will be able to handle that amount of devices. You'll be able to use QoS on either to successfully eliminate any buffering/lag caused by local congestion.
Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7