× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Macbook Pro and Air won't connect to Extender

timblack
Tutor

Macbook Pro and Air won't connect to Extender

I have an EX7500/AC2200 Tri-band extender set up on the 2.4 and 5 ghz bands. It is ending out a good strong signal on both frequencies. Netgear firmware was updated last week.

However, for some reason two Mac laptops are refusing to connect to the extender on either band and will only connect to the router, even when the signal from the router is poor.

See attached pic where the network name is SSID_5GHz.  There is a strong signal coming from the Netgear extender, 78% and 75% for the 5 and 2.4ghz bands (near the top of the list). But the laptops won't connect to it and only connect to the 40% signal from the TCT router (near the bottom of the list).

The laptops have the latest Mc OS and updates. Does anyone know a ay of forcing a computer to join the extender rather than the router?

I am posting this query to Mac support communities as well but I thought somebody here may have encountered this problem.

Model: EX7500|AC2200 Nighthawk X4S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

What actual firmware is on the EX7500?

What router is it connected to? 

did you set it up using wps or using the installation assistant?

Message 2 of 7
plemans
Guru

might also have better luck posting in the range extender forum versus the gaming forum for dumaos
https://community.netgear.com/t5/WiFi-Range-Extenders-Nighthawk/bd-p/home-wifi-range-extenders
Message 3 of 7
timblack
Tutor

Hi plemans

Unfortunately I can't see what the actual firmware version is because I can't log into the extender, because I can't get any device to connect to it.

But I updated the extender firmware last week when I was able to get at least one computer to attach to it. So I assume it's the latest firmware.

The extender is connected to the TCT router which is the device in bold near the bottom of the list in the pic attached to my original post.

I set up the extender using WPS.

Message 4 of 7
plemans
Guru

have you tried factory resetting it and then installing it using the installation assistant? 

to reset, push and hold reset for  7-15 seconds while its powered on. 

Message 5 of 7
timblack
Tutor

Thanks, I'll try that.

I also reposted this to the extender forum.

Model: EX7500|AC2200 Nighthawk X4S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 6 of 7
timblack
Tutor

Also, I found the IP address of the extender. The firmware is V1.0.0.72_1.0.78

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements