× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Modem?

Hansen1546
Aspirant

Modem?

I’m looking at getting an xr500 pro gaming router for my ps4pro. I currently have a modem router combo but it’s years old and i want to know what modem I should get to make sure my router is working efficiently. I have 500 download and 30 upload for internet.
Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Its tough to tell without more info. 

1. who's your isp? 

2. What modems are compatible with your ISP? That's the key. Many isp's only certify certain devices to work with their services. its why its a good idea to check with them to see whats compatible with their service. I would recommend going with a docsis 3.1 device. 

Message 2 of 5
Hansen1546
Aspirant

Ok so another question. Why buy the pro gaming router when you’re already buying a really good modem? Is the gaming router worth it if I’m using LAN anyway? I want my internet to stabilize and not spike and to get my ping down to the 40 or below range.
Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

@Hansen1546 wrote:
Ok so another question. Why buy the pro gaming router when you’re already buying a really good modem? Is the gaming router worth it if I’m using LAN anyway? I want my internet to stabilize and not spike and to get my ping down to the 40 or below range.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/what-do-gaming-routers-do-and-does-it-really-matter/

take a read. Some find benefits. Some are able to customize their current routers to get them the same results as a gaming router. A lot depends on your capabilities. 

Message 4 of 5
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If you were to buy a modem then you would actually need a router anyway as it won't have wifi/could only output internet to one wired device. Assuming you had a router anyway then the XR series has very good QoS to ensure that all devices being used can use it at the same time regardless of what they're doing - streaming etc without causing each other to lag or buffer. The Geo-Filter feature will allow you to find local servers for your games which will in turn result in a lower ping and a better gameplay experience.
Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7