× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Moderately serious gamer

Sauc3y23
Aspirant

Moderately serious gamer

Hello all! 

I'm new here and first time ever posting question in community but I am a moderately competititve gamer on a budget and just purchased a netgear nighthawk 6-stream (RAX50)-AX5400 dual band router. However i meant to order the netgear nighthawks pro gaming xr500. I have tried to search multiple sites to see a comparison however have been unable to do so. So i just wanted to see if anyone here could help educate me (PLEASE). Like i said i like to game and am very competitive on Call of Duty and other games. I also stream to twitch about 3 times a week at least. I have a hard wired connection to my pc and ps4 and everything else just goes off wifi. My ISP is charter spectrum and my current download on OOKLA shows about 300. I really wanna increase this a little not only for my stream but also to help my connection with servers. My ping unfortunately i believe will never get better because i live about 3 hours from any major city. My Significant other likes to have her cellphone connected through wifi and we also have a firestick connected through wifi. Do you believe that the program i believe called DUMA OS with the router i have ordered and received be enough to help or should i return this router and order the netgear nighthawk pro gaming xr500 since their prices are comparable? 

Thank you again for any assistance and input. I geniunely appreciate and help for this noob.

Message 1 of 4
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: Moderately serious gamer

You can't increase your speeds with any router, that is down to the Internet Service Provider. DumaOS would be great for your needs but is not available on the router you have.
Message 2 of 4
Sauc3y23
Aspirant

Thank you for letting me know i thought that the router i purchase also came with DUMAOS. I wonder why it costs as much as the pro gaming router that i wanted to purchase then. Oh well i will just have to return this one and hopefully get all my money back and then just order the pro gaming xr500 and wait a little longer. Also that one claims to help with ping is that solely because of the geo feature where you can make it connect to only low ping near you. Because if so it may not help if i party up to play games of call of duty with friends from Virginia and St. Louis?

Message 3 of 4
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You can still use the Geo-Filter with friends, you can use it to force a server between you all so you all get a good connection. It's not the only feature no, QoS is very important to improve the connection quality.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7