× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Mom of a gamer needs advice!

momofagamer
Follower

Mom of a gamer needs advice!

Hi I am looking for some help selecting the right Modem and Router for my home. My son is a gamer and we have had our current equipment for 5 years. The quality of our connect has decrases so I went with a modem/router from our Centurylink Services provided. The wireless connection that we get with this new equipment pales in to comparison of our old equipment. (Netgear Moduem and ASUS RT-AC682 Router) I have to wait for pictures on Facebook to load I have better connection with the hotspot on my phone. Centrylink has not be able to help me get the quality of wireless service with their equipment. So I am trying to pick the best equipment for my family.

While my son is wired his connection is much better. However, the pings increase when others in the house are using wifi. Not sure I am stating that correctly, I am techosavy when it some to software and programs, but networks and such are out of my comfortzone. My son want to start streaming on Twitch. 

We have DSL service (Fiber is not avaialbe in our area, yet). 
Currenty Upload Speed is 8mbps and Download Speed is .61mbps I know not great but it is what we have and hoping I can maximzie our home usage better to for my son to get the best possible gaming experience. 

So what would be the best Modeum and Router for gaming for us. 

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: Mom of a gamer needs advice!

Hello there, first I'd like to get a little more clarification before I can advise. You speeds, how did you work this out? Did you do a wired speed test directly connected to the modem when nothing else was using the internet? Are you sure the upload is 8mbps and download is 0.61mbps? Usually the download is the higher value. This is important to know as it will determine whether your internet connection could handle your son streaming to Twitch.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: Mom of a gamer needs advice!

Hello there, first I'd like to get a little more clarification before I can advise. You speeds, how did you work this out? Did you do a wired speed test directly connected to the modem when nothing else was using the internet? Are you sure the upload is 8mbps and download is 0.61mbps? Usually the download is the higher value. This is important to know as it will determine whether your internet connection could handle your son streaming to Twitch.
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7