× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: My Nighthawk XR500 drops WiFi on 2 of my devices.

FrodoFappins
Aspirant

My Nighthawk XR500 drops WiFi on 2 of my devices.

So ever since I bought my XR500, my wife's 2 devices (iPad 2 and Samsung S5 Mini) drops WiFi ALL.THE.TIME.

Funny thing is, it's only those 2 devices that does this, out of maybe 8-10 devices we have in our houshold.

They get dropped no matter how many active users are on our network.

My connection is 250/250.

If you need any other info, please let me know! I desperately need help, as she's threatening to put our old Huawei GSM/Ethernet router back up instead, since she never got dropped from that.

I have Firmware-Version V2.3.2.40 on my XR500, Duma control panel say's there's no updates available.

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Are you using Smart Connect? If so disable that and connect them manually to the 2.4GHz network, does that resolve the issue?
Message 2 of 16
FrodoFappins
Aspirant

No, all our devices are connected manually to our WiFi.

She get's dropped on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz.

Message 3 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You may have a lot of WiFi interference in the area. Use a WiFi analyser to find the least congested channel and change to that. Also remove any wireless devices e.g. headsets etc from within close proximity to the router as they could interfere. Are the devices also connecting to WiFi with automatic settings?
Message 4 of 16
FrodoFappins
Aspirant

I used the Netgear WiFi Analytics and connected to the least congested / best singal channel, for both 2.4 and 5.

There's no wireless devices near the router.

All my devices are manually connected to my WiFi.

Message 5 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I mean on the devices themselves have you specified IP/DNS etc or just joined them automatically? I know you said they drop all the time but how often are we talking, every 5 mins? Does it seem to be when a specific application is running or anything specific happens on the network?
Message 6 of 16
FrodoFappins
Aspirant

Ah! No I didnt specify the IP/DNS. Just found on list of WiFi connections available and put in the password to connect.

It happens contiunously, connected, disconnected, connected, disconnected. It happens at all times, not only during specific tasks.

Message 7 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay interesting, could you give the devices that have the issues a static/reserved IP address in Settings > LAN Setup please. It might be that they're having trouble resolving the IP address automatically.
Message 8 of 16
FrodoFappins
Aspirant

Sorry, been away for a while! Sure, how do i do that? I go to Settings > LAN Setup and then i do what exactly?

Message 9 of 16
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

That's right >Settings >LAN Setup then click 'Add'.

The panel will then reload with a list of devices that have connected to the router. Click on each of the troublesome devices and assign them an IP address by clicking 'Add'. You can change the IP address to a different number if you like e.g. 192.168.1.77, but there's normally no need to change it from the address automatically assigned to it.

Message 10 of 16
FrodoFappins
Aspirant

Ok, so I assigned the 2 devices, and they are still dropping Wi-Fi.
Message 11 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Is there anything in the logs regarding these devices?
Message 12 of 16
FrodoFappins
Aspirant

I wouldn't really know what to look for.

There's a lot of entries about 'Marking device that is marked', but the stated IP adresses on those entries, are not for the 2 devices that a being dropped.

The 'Marking' entries seems to occur ever 15-20 secs though, not sure if this is of importance.

Message 13 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay interesting. Do the IP addresses correspond to devices connected to WiFi that are using a lot of bandwidth?
Message 14 of 16
FrodoFappins
Aspirant

Actually no. The ip addresses correspond to devices that are relatively inactive.
Message 15 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Very odd. Can you change the WiFi channels to something else, higher or lower and see if they sustain a connection then please.
Message 16 of 16
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7