× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NAT TYPE MODERATE IN GAMES BO3 - PC WINDOWS 10 PRO

xXKevlar79Xx
Tutor

NAT TYPE MODERATE IN GAMES BO3 - PC WINDOWS 10 PRO

Hi all 

"Please Help - i am not the technical when it comes to PC / routers" 

bought myself a refurbished router xr500 connected to internet fine really easy set up, however having trouble getting port forwarding or port triggering to work still have moderate nat type. 

however prior to purchasing the new router and running ethernet cable from the main smart hub (BT) managed to port forward the smart hub and achieved open nat type. 

actions: 

port forwarding on duma and port twigering - did not make any difference 

internet connection is auto connect in duma settings - also tried to manually connect to bt hub, although I just end up loosing internet connection. 

phoned bt - not that helpful although provided me with some links to look at - but did really lead me anywhere 

tried deleting the ports forward on the smarthub. 

"anybody able to help as no idea how to fix the issue" 

also my gaming pc does not have wifi - so it is FTP (WIRED CONNECTION ONLY) 

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too? Built in router here? If so, This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 12

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too? Built in router here? If so, This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem.

Message 2 of 12
xXKevlar79Xx
Tutor

thanks for advisement going to give it try tomorrow - as say did contact British telecom today they did really offer much support although may go back through to them in morning 

Message 3 of 12
xXKevlar79Xx
Tutor

just used it in router mode and then put all the port forwarding through the main smart hub - I nowhave open Nat type although slightly annoying as loose some of the featured apps - so think still need to for alternative work round to resolve issue although this will do for the moment 

massive thank you 🙂

did look at this earlier but did not go through with the changes - oh well zombies to see how it plays 

Message 4 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Just to clarify, did you put the XR in the DMZ of the smart hub? Why are you losing some of the features?
Message 6 of 12
xXKevlar79Xx
Tutor

i had to place into ap mode - did try the dmz mode by going into the dmz setting of the hub allow the dmz to the xr500 although this does not seem to solve the nat type issue - even if on the xr500 has the pert triggering or port forward set. 

how ever in ap does solve the nat type issue to open. 

think it is double nat type issue - as the bt smart hub 6 is like router which plugs straight into vdsl line i dont have a separate modem to plus into 

Message 7 of 12
xXKevlar79Xx
Tutor

found this link that i am going to try out which allows you to put the hub in to modem mode 

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/Smart-Hub-2-as-a-Modem/td-p/1922978

although its really technical so going to read through it all few times 

Message 8 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

That would be preferred if you can get the modem in to modem only mode. Then set your XR router back to router mode. 

Message 9 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Did you use the WAN IP found in System Information for the DMZ? If you use the IP you access the router with then it won't work. It's possible that the port forwarding/triggering rules you made caused that if they were incorrect. Remove all those rules and then in WAN Settings on the XR change NAT from Secure to Open, do you then achieve an Open NAT? Also the Geo-Filter can sometimes causing a NAT misreading so if you're still not getting open after that switch the Geo-Filter to Spectating Mode and see if that works.
Message 10 of 12
xXKevlar79Xx
Tutor

the new steps you said to do with dmz i had completed this part then went to wan section set it to opened then set geo to spectate and guess what. 

thanks for the help - although i am line to tech team previous person said it was impossible as to router - so hung up on them - better support from community lol fixed it my man 

so happy 

p.s - though i make aware of how to fix, seeing they supposed to know and why been waiting 45 mins and now the sixth person in queue 

Message 11 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That's great to hear! So it was a misreading then, you can switch it back to Filtering Mode now and if it says it again you know it is actually open. No need to get back to them, they will likely defer back to us (Netduma) if they're not sure on an answer.
Message 12 of 12
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7