× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NAT issue with Firmware 2.2.1.10 update?

Boda
Aspirant

NAT issue with Firmware 2.2.1.10 update?

Has anyone ran into an issue while using the latest firmware 2.2.1.10 on their XR500 router?  I'm currently having a NAT problem since this update.  My NAT is moderate or my Xbox One indicates that I need to contact XBox with their teredo.  Even after going into the router settings, and turning the NAT filtering to 'open', turning off the UPnP and opening ports, I still cannot get my Xbox to work correctly with this firmware update.  I have now had to revert back to firmware 2.0.0.28 in order to get back on XBox live.  

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 21
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

A firmware change would not affect your NAT status. It is very likely a false reading created by the Geo-Filter blocking a server. This doesn't mean you have a mod NAT just that the server to test it may be blocked. Put console in DMZ & disable Geo-Filter for boot up. If it's open then that's fine.

You also need to ensure the XR500 is in the DMZ of your hub. I would not recommend staying on that outdated version.
Message 2 of 21
Boda
Aspirant

I have just tried everything that you have posted to do with Firmware 2.2.1.10 and still can not talk on Xbox live. 

I have reverted back to trying it on both versions 2.0.0.28 and 2.1.0.4 and have no issues with connectivity.

The only issue i have with 2.1.0.4 is that Google Chrome browser will not work for logging into the XR500.

Message 3 of 21
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay so the real issue is you're unable to talk to friends and you believed that was NAT related?

You need to add your friends to your allow list otherwise your Geo-Filter will block them when you try to connect.

Also disable SIP ALG in WAN Setup.
Message 4 of 21
XRaptor29
Luminary

It is NAT related. If the Xbox can't get an Open Nat then party chat disconnects. I didn't have any issues at first with the latest update until last night. I believe Xbox Live is having issues on the east coast because when I put both Xbox's to spectator mode I got Open Nat again to servers in California. Usually I get the server in South Carolina but filtered mode didn't connect to it.
Message 5 of 21
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Can you provide the ID of that NAT server please
Message 6 of 21
Boda
Aspirant

After reading what you posted, I tried something else to see if it would let me on Live.  I went into the GEO-Filter and found out that if you turn off or "untick" "Strict Mode" it will allow you to connect.

It states that, "This should be ticked when searching in most games, except Destiny where we recommend this box is unticked." This does not make any sense? 

Message 7 of 21
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It allows dedicated servers outside your radius but still blocks players. So it will allow that NAT server with strict off. If you can provide the ID of the server we can add it to our white list cloud.
Message 8 of 21
XRaptor29
Luminary

Wanted to give an update on the Nat problem, East Coast Xbox Live servers are up and running and now Nat works perfectly fine on filtered mode again.

Message 9 of 21
Salty03
Aspirant

So they were right, it wasn't a NAT problem just an XBOX Live server issue?

Message 10 of 21
Boda
Aspirant

No. It is a Netgear/ Duma issue. I still have to put it in spectating mode and turn Strict Mode off every time before I turn on my Xbox. This is the only way I can connect to other friends on Xbox live. I also can not have my Xbox in “instant-on” mode. I have to have it in “Energy-saving” mode which shuts everything down. If I do not do this, I get DoS attacked causing my whole network to come to a crawl. Then it’s 5-10 minuets of messing around rebooting stuff.
Message 11 of 21
XRaptor29
Luminary

I've not had any issues out of the latest firmware on Nat since Xbox Live came back up. Running Multiple Xbox Ones with Open Nat and Geo Filter set to Filtered mode. Both Xbox Ones are on Instant On also.
Message 12 of 21
XRaptor29
Luminary

What's your network setup? Modem and Router?
Message 13 of 21
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Can you see an icon being blocked on your Geo-Filter? It sounds like there’s an authentication / NAT server that needs to be permanently whitelisted. It should appear as a triangle.
Message 14 of 21
Boda
Aspirant

When I turn the Xbox on and it is going through its authentication process with the Nat, I see only two servers that is is trying to communicate with. One of them being located in Texas, and the other in Germany. Once the Nat is deemed open, I load the game COD, connect to their servers, turn it from spectating to filtering mode, and then turn the Geo filter mode to strict. If I do not do it exactly like this, I will not be able to connect with Xbox live to communicate in a party, and will not be able to join others that invited me to their games. The same goes for when I send the invites for friends to join my party and games.

Message 15 of 21
Boda
Aspirant

correct

Message 16 of 21
XRaptor29
Luminary

Is the person inviting you outside the perimeter of the Geo Filter?
Message 17 of 21
Boda
Aspirant

It happens when they are within it or outside of it. It’s really messed up.
My ISP is Comcast. They bump their clients around to whichever server their system feels is good for their network. One day I will be on their server in Minnesota and the next day on the one in Chicago.
Message 18 of 21
XRaptor29
Luminary

Ok let's try this. Turn off auto ping so you can actually select the server that you're connecting to. I would start whitelisting servers you're connecting to and also Whitelist the people that invite you if they pop up. This way even in Filtered mode it should still connect either way.

It should get to the point where you'll keep open Nat hopefully.
Message 19 of 21
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Weird that you're experiencing this when others are not. Would definitely advise the adding to allow list as above but also please provide us with the IDs of these servers preventing you leaving it in Filtering Mode. Also try flushing the cloud in the Geo-Filter Map settings.
Message 20 of 21
Salty03
Aspirant

I have tested with my XR500 and have been able to achieve Open NAT when setting the Xbox as a static IP and doing Port Triggering and also tested with Port Forwarding for the correct Xbox Live ports. I have also had success when setting my Xbox One S as DMZ with the static IP. If you are unable to get an Open NAT then I would contact your ISP to see what they can do on their end. I also have Comcast and haven't had any issues with this router. It has in fact improved my gaming experience by getting closer servers. I hope you can figure this out because I have enjoyed my Nighthawk XR500.

Message 21 of 21
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7