× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NETGEAR ISSUES

Andybrenn1989
Aspirant

NETGEAR ISSUES

Hi, 

This is my test results from PingPlotter. Can anyone please explain, why I am recieving so much packet loss & how I am able to resolve this issue?

I have pinged one of the game services that COD uses, which is vulture.com & this is my connection after a result of 10 minutes.

Any answers would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Andrew.

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 22
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Pinging the game servers like that is not a good way to test, would be better to do so using a stable destination such as a local news website. Also the graph at the bottom is what you should focus on doesn't show any packet loss so that is a good sign. Hard to tell due to the size of the screenshot but it looks fairly stable.
Message 2 of 22
Andybrenn1989
Aspirant

I forgot to mention you can find my PingPlotter results here:

https://share.pingplotter.com/CHPynsthcNk.png

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 3 of 22
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You had attached the picture of the results so my comments were based on those results.
Message 4 of 22
Andybrenn1989
Aspirant

Yeh but it’s the packet loss on the top graph it’s showing loads of packet loss and the videos iv looked online are all saying that’s the things u want to look at packet loss makes your gaming experiance lab or bullets not registering when they should is that correct ? And do u know how I would fix that
Message 5 of 22
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Packet loss can give you issues yes but the graph is showing that you're not experiencing any packet loss. If you want to test it further use command prompt and type ping followed by the IP address, it should report no packet loss.
Message 6 of 22
Andybrenn1989
Aspirant

I did run that rest and on the 4th hop down it came back request timed out
Message 7 of 22
Gonzalees
Aspirant

Turn off the wireless function and directly connect your computer to the router with an Ethernet cable. Reboot the computer and check for an internet connection. If there is still no internet connection reboot the router and any modems in use.
Message 8 of 22
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

What kind of results do you get if you ping a local news site, or google.com

Message 9 of 22
Andybrenn1989
Aspirant

Hi

This was the trace route while watching netflix in the backround. Can you explain why the missing parts of the routes are marked with a start & why the first hop is so high in latency.

Many thanks,

Message 10 of 22
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

When you do a traceroute it sends 3 packets to each hop, so it gives a time in each column for each of the packets. If a star is there then your packet didn't receive a response. It could indicate an issue in the routing but that's nothing you can fix. You're watching Netflix which is causing a network queue and so causing high ping times. You'll need to use QoS to stop that from happening.
Message 11 of 22
Andybrenn1989
Aspirant

Iam using qos tho ? And iv went onto dslreports.com and ran tests and every test came back different no matter how much I brought it up and down the sliders n
Always came back with same result and the buffer lost was an a+ so I don’t really get how to use the qos if your telling me iv done it wrong if I’m getting those results
Message 12 of 22
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

Hi Andy

am I right in thinking you are using EE?

Are you struggling when streaming say netflix and finding latency spikes?

Message 13 of 22
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Are ALL your devices connected to the router or are some connected to your ISP router? I wouldn't use DSLReports to test the connection. I would suggest you follow this guide while saturating your connection with downloads/streams and adjusting your Anti-Bufferbloat percentages on 'Always' to see what lowers the ping the most/keeps it stable.
http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000074717-how-to-test-your-internet-ping
Message 14 of 22
Andybrenn1989
Aspirant

What do you think it is when the game is sort of running like slow motion but full speed slow motion it looks like
Message 15 of 22
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

I don't know, sounds like an unstable connection. Perhaps the data is coming in big bursts instead of a continuous stream.

Message 16 of 22
Andybrenn1989
Aspirant

how do I solve buffer bloat on this router the Xr 500 iv been trying numerous test on dsl reports and I can never get the grades I want it’s always all over the place I’m trying reduce my bandwidth on my Xr 500 like the upload and download but I can never get a consistent reading why is this and how do I solve it I have my Xr 500 plugged into my EE smart hub but the smart hub is acting as a modem also could this be the issue it’s really effecting my online gaming and I bought this router to solve these issues if anything it’s been a nightmare since I got it
Message 17 of 22
Andybrenn1989
Aspirant

But how do I solve it ? Because it’s making this router basically useless ?
Message 18 of 22
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

If this is due to BT as I think your isp comes under their services it's an issue that BT now say that they are implementing a fix. 
https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/Recent-online-gaming-ping-spikes-when-streaming...

there is no fix with any router on the market, nothing helps and if this is your issue you need to contact your isp and moan and point out the thread I've linked to.

Message 19 of 22
Andybrenn1989
Aspirant

But I thought this is why the Xr 500 was good to stop all this and ye can use anti Bufferbloat to stop this so I take it that can’t even help so it was pointless me buying it then ?
Message 20 of 22
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

It's not an issue with the router, it's an issue with the isp. Think of it as a fault with your line, it needs fixing. Your routers fine.

Message 21 of 22
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

@Andybrenn1989 if it is not a BT issue then I would not trust the DSLReports results as bufferbloat only happens when your connection is saturated which it doesn't do. I would recommend you follow this guide while saturating your connection with downloads/streams and changing your Anti-Bufferbloat percentages until the ping is as low/stable as possible. http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000074717-how-to-test-your-internet-ping
Message 22 of 22
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7