× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NG NH xr500 - first time router rebooted on its own.

grdmstr75
Aspirant

NG NH xr500 - first time router rebooted on its own.

today router rebooted first time ever since i have had it almost two years., any way to debug why it did this. from bash terminal? 

really do not want to replace it right now expensive to update.. 

also here is latest FW

Current Version:V2.3.2.40
New Version:V2.3.2.56

ive tried the latet FW before months ago and had drop packet issue so i rolled back maybe the newest works now? 

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: NG NH xr500 - first time router rebooted on its own.

I don't think is anything to be concerned about, they're tested to ensure they don't reboot over a certain period of time but it is less than 2 years so I think it just needed one. Could have been a power fluctuation as well. I'd advise just keeping an eye on it for now and see if it happens again.
Message 2 of 8
grdmstr75
Aspirant

Hi, i did not mean that it has not been rebooted in 2 years it has been rebooted many times especially these days due to quarintine BS, anyways what i meant was it has never rebooted on its own in the middle of the day like that.. there was a lot of traffic during this time yes but to reboot like that just strange. is there any way i can debug it by logging into the command line of it?  i just want be able to do this anyways to check configs , should i update to the latest firmware? 

Message 3 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Understood, I would recommend reinstalling the firmware you are on using the TFTP method to bypass any issues in the boot process, then do a factory reset. That will give you the freshest install possible and hopefully prevent any unexpected reboots. https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP
Message 4 of 8
grdmstr75
Aspirant

please let me know is there a command line interface for the router?  it is based off linux no?

Message 5 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

There is Telnet but it won't help you as any logs would be wiped upon a reboot.

Message 6 of 8
grdmstr75
Aspirant

ok how about going forward so i use SFCP to login? what app like putty? 

Message 7 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I wouldn't recommend trying to access it via any of those methods - there will likely be blocked and there is the potential to cause issues if users aren't 100% sure how to navigate it. For now I would recommend reuploading with the TFTP method and doing a reset and seeing how you get on. 3.0 will be available soon and then you'll be able to try that as well.
Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7