× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Need a New Product!

P111
Luminary

Need a New Product!

I am a networking noob, so forgive some stupidity here. I just bought an XR500 which has got me thinking to network traffic and such. A modern PC with Windows on it can suddenly decide to do something that causes conflicts. For exampl, Steam may decide to download an update while you are playing a non-Steam game. It's highly possible that the priorities of both processes are the same, in other words QOS within the PC will fail. Surely this means that you may get lag that comes directly from the PC you are playing on? Wouldn't it be an idea to hav a complimentary application to DuimaOS on the PC that allows you to easily adjust the priority of games and applications? So you can actually see in an instant what it running and what priority it has and adjust it on the fly? Tab out of a game and you see a list of applications, priorities, and a small historical map of network use per applciation.

I express my concerns as a solution, but if this is rubbish pleace tell me so I can understant!!

Message 1 of 4
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Thanks for the suggestion, I don't know if thats anything we'll work on or not. If so probably not for awhile. Traffic Prioritization should only prioritize a game and not the download as it uses deep packet inspection rather than ports.
Message 2 of 4
P111
Luminary

No no you misunderstand. I am talking about a bottleneck inside the PC itself, not the router. I noticed that certain game loaders can be prioritised the same as games in the PC. So a bottleneck is generated inside the PC itself, causing lag, even before messages get to the router.

Message 3 of 4
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Oh I see, I'm not sure about that then. That would mean doing something outside router software which I don't think is anything we're looking into at the moment.
Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7