× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Need help with XR500 double NAT on Xbox One

Xboxlivegamer
Aspirant

Need help with XR500 double NAT on Xbox One

Hello, I installed my XR500 today, before I was using an AC1900 which had open NAT, however I now have double NAT at Strict. What questions should I ask my internet service provider and what settings should I use?

I already went to settings>WAN Setup>NAT Filtering>Open. My new router connects to a PoE Adaptor.

I managed to get the AC1900 to Open NAT but that was years ago and I forgot the process I took to get there.

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
Xboxlivegamer
Aspirant

Re: Need help with XR500 double NAT on Xbox One

I found the solution to my double NAT Strict NAT problem, I had to call my ISP and they accessed my modem to changed the MAC address of my old router to my new router's MAC address, this solved my problem and my NAT is now Open on Xbox live.

The reason I could not do this myself is because I'm not allowed access to my router which is located on the roof of my house. The modem I use is a green packet.

Thank you to Netduma-Fraser for leading me in the right direction towards the solution.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 13

All Replies
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Hi there - the best thing to do would be set your modem / router to 'modem mode' or 'bridge mode'. This disables the router functionality on the modem, which will fix the double NAT problem.

Please also do this:
1. Make sure UPNP is enabled (go to >Settings >Advanced Settings >UPNP)
2. Go to Port Forwarding ( >Settings >Advanced Settings >UPNP) and delete any manual port forwarding rules you added.

You should then be good to go!
Message 2 of 13
Xboxlivegamer
Aspirant

Does that mean I have to called my ISP and ask them to set it to modem or bridge mode? There's no way on my end to manually configure it.

The two other suggestions are default settings already.

Message 3 of 13
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

No, your ISP will not be able to do this.
Usually you can connect to your modem quite easily. I can help you do this.
On the XR500 UI, please go to System Information. On the Internet Status Panel (bottom left), what does it say your WAN IP is?
Message 4 of 13
Xboxlivegamer
Aspirant

Message 5 of 13
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Thanks. On your browser, type 192.168.0.1 into your url bar. This should take you to the modem's admin page. (If this doesn't work, try 192.168.0.255).

Login there (there should be admin details on a label fixed to the physical modem). From there, you should be able to find an option to turn the modem into 'modem mode' or bridge mode.

If you can't do this, please let me know the make and model of your modem. Thanks
Message 6 of 13
XRaptor29
Luminary

Make sure to reboot the Xbox if it hasn't yet with the new router. 

Nat Filtering can stay strict and still provide Open Nat. UPNP should be active. 

I have Multiple Xbox One's running with open Nat with just the default settings.

Message 7 of 13
Xboxlivegamer
Aspirant

I tried both, none worked. The modem is on the roof, I connect my ethernet cord from the router to a PoE Adaptor model no. mpse-4803 in the DATA port and a ethernet cord connects from the PoE port to the dish on the roof which I believe the technicians told me is where the modem is too.

I already did a hard reset on my xbox one x, I held the button down for 30 seconds, then unplugged it and waited a little more before I plugged it back in.

Message 8 of 13
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Ok. I don’t think the adapter will be causing problems, but the modem is probably causing double NAT issues.

At this stage I recommend you contact Netgear’s official support directly as they’re very experienced with this. It’s 24/7 live support. https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Let us know how you get on!
Message 9 of 13
Xboxlivegamer
Aspirant

okay, thank you for the help.

Message 10 of 13
Xboxlivegamer
Aspirant

I found the solution to my double NAT Strict NAT problem, I had to call my ISP and they accessed my modem to changed the MAC address of my old router to my new router's MAC address, this solved my problem and my NAT is now Open on Xbox live.

The reason I could not do this myself is because I'm not allowed access to my router which is located on the roof of my house. The modem I use is a green packet.

Thank you to Netduma-Fraser for leading me in the right direction towards the solution.

Message 11 of 13
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That's great to hear you got the issue resolved! Thanks for updating us with the solution as well!
Message 12 of 13
Xboxlivegamer
Aspirant

Correction: The reason I could not do this myself is because I'm not allowed access to my modem* which is located on the roof of my house. The modem I use is a green packet.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7