× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Need some expert networking opinion. XR500 with FIOS G1100 and Eero

Xenecus
Aspirant

Need some expert networking opinion. XR500 with FIOS G1100 and Eero

I'm trying to get the best out of the XR500 router without losing my eero wifi network and all working with the Fios Gateway G1100

What I want to do is have the XR500 as the main router and bridge my FIOS router but somehow keep my eero for all wifi devices.

Is there a way to have two different networks? or is the recommended setup here to bridge my FIOS and Eero and have the XR500 as the main router? 

I only need the XR500 to handle wired connections to my office and my media room, eero will be handling all of the wifi within the main floors of the house.... the FIOS router is only there for TV services.

I'm not sure exactly what the best approach is here.... any assistance will be greatly appreciated it 

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Need some expert networking opinion. XR500 with FIOS G1100 and Eero

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem.

Then you want the EERO as your wifi source, I would disable the wifi on the XR router and set up your EERO for LAN to LAN AP mode if it supports that configuration.

Message 2 of 6
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Probably the best bet here is to put the FIOS in bridge mode to the XR500. Completely disable the XR500 WiFi and connect the Eero to the XR500. I think that would achieve what you want
Message 3 of 6
Xenecus
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Modem Combo Units:
 configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem.

sorry for the noob question, but what would this achieve ? 

Message 4 of 6
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It would ensure all port traffic goes straight through to the Netgear. This would ensure you wouldn't get double NAT
Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What Fraser said. Single NAT condition is always perferred for gaming. 

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/nat.htm

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/networking/fixing_double_nat.htm

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Networking-101-The-DMZ-137550

@Xenecus wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Modem Combo Units:
 configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem.

sorry for the noob question, but what would this achieve ? 

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7