× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear CM1000 / Nighthawk XR500 Issue

Brennan73
Aspirant

Netgear CM1000 / Nighthawk XR500 Issue

Hi there, I am having an issue with either my CM1000 cable modem or XR500 wireless router. I purchased both of them just yesterday. I play Overwatch and noticed two times during a two hour duration that I lost connection. I was able to set up the modem and router fine, the firmware updated fine, and I went through each setting on DumaOS after reading all of the guides on the DumaOS site. Comcast is my ISP and I get around 180 download and 15 upload speeds. My gaming desktop is connected by ethernet to the XR500. 

I used to have the C7000 modem router all in one but experienced severe ping spikes, in-game lag, and disconnects which is why I went with the CM1000 and XR500. The ping spikes don't seem to be an issue anymore which is great, but the disconnects are a concern obviously. The first time I disconnected on Overwatch I decided to run a continuous ping. I had in-game lag, went to my continuous ping and noticed the request timed out one time and one packet was lost. I reviewed the modem and router logs. I didn't see any warning or error logs for the modem but I did see some odd logs on the router. I attached an image showing the router logs. 

I talked to Comcast a couple of times and they don't see any issues on their end. Please let me know your thoughts on this, I appreciate it.  

Model: CM1000|Ultra-High Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS® 3.1 Ready, XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Netgear CM1000 / Nighthawk XR500 Issue

What Firmware is currently loaded?

Using good quality LAN cables between ISP modem and router? CAT6 is recommended. 

Gaming on a wired or wireless connection? Wired is preferred. 

Had a power OFF the the CM and XR for 1 minute, then back ON with the modem and let it sync, then ON with the XR router? 

Try with QoS disabled.

What are you ISP speeds UP and Down that you pay for? 

Message 2 of 9
Brennan73
Aspirant

I'm not currently home so I'm not sure what firmware version I am on. I do know it's the latest version because there are no updates available. Yes, I am using CAT6 cables. I am on a wired connection. I have already rebooted the cable modem and router. I tried disabling QoS as well. I pay for 150 down and am getting 180 down and 15 up so speed is not an issue.

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a factory reset on the XR router and setup from scratch. I presume the FW was updated upon initial setup and may need a reset. 

Message 4 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

When you lost connection was it just on the game or was it on other devices as well? Did it require a reboot to get the connection back or did it re-establish itself? Are you using the Geo-Filter for Overwatch?
Message 5 of 9
Brennan73
Aspirant

I'm not sure if I lost connection to other devices. It's so quick that I lag in game and then it re-establishes connection on its own so I don't have time to look at other devices. And yes, I am using Geo-Filter on Overwatch. 

I am trying to read through the system logs when I disconnect and the only correlation I can see is when the router has a log mentioning the router is stale. You can see the log I am referring to in my attached image. Does that log mean anything? 

Also, should the router be saying DHCP new event and DHCP lease change as often as it is? It's very often. 

Thank you!

Message 6 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The log is fine, I generally wouldn't recommend looking at the log as the language is verbose as it is meant for developers so can seem as though there is a cause for concern when there isn't. Have you experienced it again since your post? If you disable the Geo-Filter/set to spectating do you see the issue?
Message 7 of 9
Brennan73
Aspirant

Ok, thank you for the information. I actually haven't experienced the issue the last couple of days. I only had the issue the first two nights of using them. Maybe it takes a bit for Comcast, the modem, and router to sync everything? I'm not sure, but glad I haven't had the issue lately. 

Message 8 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Yes that's correct, it can take a little bit of time. You may have seen suggestions before about changing the MAC address of the router to the same as the previous router that was used. That can bypass that process but glad to hear it's all working now. Thanks for the update!
Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7