× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Nighthawk XR500 GAMING ROUTER Ethernet Speeds

Owlman82
Tutor

Netgear Nighthawk XR500 GAMING ROUTER Ethernet Speeds

So I have Fiber going to a jack that my router is plugged into. I noticed that when I am plugged directly into the Jack itself I am getting my gig speeds, but whenever I am plugged into the Router with the most updated firmware ( XR500 V2.3.2.114) I am only getting 100mb for some reason. I have even tried swapping out the Ethernet ports on the router itself with same results.

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Netgear Nighthawk XR500 GAMING ROUTER Ethernet Speeds

How do you have QoS set? Test with QOS disabled first using a good quality LAN cable in between the Fiber Jack and the router and router and PC. CAT6 is recommende. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
Owlman82
Tutor

I have tried to attach photos but for some reason it just shows up as a Triangle so I will tell you my speeds. Attached is the Router plugged in and my actual post is with the Jack plugged in if you take a look at my png file

Router plugged in
Download: 94.8

Upload 95.0

Using only my Fiber Jack

Download: 933.8

Upload: 110.9

Message 2 of 7
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Could you please try a different ethernet cable from the XR500 to the fibre jack? It sounds initially like you may be using something lower than Cat 5e, which would limit you to 100mbs throughput.

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

How do you have QoS set? Test with QOS disabled first using a good quality LAN cable in between the Fiber Jack and the router and router and PC. CAT6 is recommende. 

Message 4 of 7
Owlman82
Tutor

I am using all Cat5 i didn't think about swapping out coords at the router to the jack. I will try and do that tonight whenever i get off of work and post back with the results. thanks for the recommendation

Message 5 of 7
Owlman82
Tutor

Alright it was my Ethernet chord. Once I swapped it out with another my speeds are right where they should be.

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. CAT6 cabling is recommended. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7