× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Nighthawk XR500 GAMING ROUTER - Only Dropping Download

Camostealth
Aspirant

Netgear Nighthawk XR500 GAMING ROUTER - Only Dropping Download

Hello,

I recently purchased the XR500 back in December of last year and have had no problems with it whatsoever until lately. I recently upgraded my speed package with my ISP, which subsequently had me get a new modem to handle 1Gb of download speeds and 30mbps upload.

There was no issues for the first week or so, until the start of this past week where, intermittently, I would lose connectivity on all devices over the router (hardwired and WiFi).

I happen to work for my ISP, so I did some investigation on my coaxial line and noticed no RF (radio frequency) or SNR (signal to noise ratio) issue that usually plague cable lines. Which, would indicate my connection to the modem was fine. I should also note I didn't see any light patterns change either on both the router and the modem which leads me to believe it is to do with the router.

Recently, I've noticed the drops are more common in the morning around 8:30-10:30am, and then a few drops in the evening. When viewing my network overview, I notice that devices are still using upload, however the download completely flatlines and requires a powercycle or sometimes even a factory reset to recover.

When Googling my issue, I didn't see any related queries so I thought I would raise mine in hopes of some answers. I'm leaning towards a DHCP issue, but I wouldn't really know where to start or how to troubleshoot that.

I should also note, I do have a Netgear WiFi Extender as well in my internal setup, not sure if that has any bearing on the issue, but I thought it would be worthwhile noting.

Thanks for any suggestions or help on this.

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 6
Camostealth
Aspirant

Re: Netgear Nighthawk XR500 GAMING ROUTER - Only Dropping Download

Update:

I’m definitely thinking this is a DHCP lease issue as it looks like I only have a 1 hour lease when I release and renew. However, the connection is more intermittent than an hour as it drops out every 10-15min each morning.
Message 2 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Power OFF The ISP modem for 1 minute then back on while leaving the XR router online. 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. 
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 

Message 3 of 6
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Give some of the devices that you notice the issue on a reserved IP in LAN Settings and see if it continues to be an issue after that please.
Message 4 of 6
Mexi
Aspirant

Hi There,

Im having the exact same issue, did you resolve it? my friend happens to be my ISP and i upgraded to a 100mb connection from a 50mb

And since then i have daily drop outs, but never with my old ISP's crap modem. He seems to think its a DHCP issue aswell he thinks i should return it and get a new one, but i seem to think i will have the same issue!

Netgear please help.

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 5 of 6
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It probably is a DHCP issue if you got a new modem/hub. In the XR Internet Setup settings switch to Static instead of Dynamic and see if that resolves the issue.
Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7