× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear Nighthawk XR500 lan ports turning off/on randomly through the day

MrReeceNC
Star

Netgear Nighthawk XR500 lan ports turning off/on randomly through the day

So for a while now my router has been doing this thing where the lan ports will disconnect/reconnect at random.  It only turns them off for a second but long enough to disconnect me from a video or a game at times.  Just wondering if this is a common issue because everything else is fine and it's really more of an inconveniance but I would like to know if there is anything I can do about this issue.  Every so often the lan port my TV is connected to just goes down all together and I'll have to switch it to another one and so far ports 2+3 have done that.  I thought about doing a factory reset but wanted to get some input first.

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
MrReeceNC
Star

Ok I will get that done this weekend and let you know if the problem persists.

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 14

All Replies
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Have you tried setting reserved IPs for the wired devices?

Although that might not help if the problem is specifically to do with the LAN ports.

This must be a bug.

Message 2 of 14
MrReeceNC
Star

I haven't tried that but I didn't know that you could do that.  I will look up how to do this and report back as soon as possible. 

Message 3 of 14
MrReeceNC
Star

Also I was looking at the logs of my router and it looks like I've been getting ARP attacks today for a while.  Not sure if that has anything to do with it but it's got me a little worried and I'm not sure how to block those particular IP addresses.  Not sure if this is something that has been going on for a while or not but maybe it's a false alarm. 

Message 4 of 14
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Reserved IPs can be set from Settings > Setup > LAN Settings. Just make entries for all of the important devices on the list. It's okay to just leave them with the address they've already got.

APP attacks a DoS Attacks are actually quite normal things to see in the log. The way it's worded is overdramatic, it's just standard internet traffic.

Message 5 of 14
MrReeceNC
Star

Ok I've set up the reserved IP's for the devices that are wired.  I will report back with the results later this evening (the disconnect usually happens while I'm watching TV and the TV displays a notification saying the lan cable has been unplugged).

Message 6 of 14
MrReeceNC
Star

Still getting the disconnect/reconnect from time to time so it seems that reserving the IP's did not solve it.  I feel like it's some sort of software bug and it's got me scratching my head since this router was bought specifically for gaming purposes.  I've had problems with routers in the past but none of them have done this.

Message 7 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Are the any ports that it doesn't seem to happen on at all? I assume from your description that all WiFi devices sustain a connection during this time? Have you tried using different ethernet cables for the ports?
Message 8 of 14
MrReeceNC
Star

Yeah it seems all of the ports do this and I have tried different cables.  I just wonder if something is happening with the DHCP and the leases are getting released/renewed from time to time because I seen this on my log earlier.  I wonder if statically routing it would fix that.  I haven't done static routes before but I know it's fairly easy.  I guess I should've paid more attention in Routing Basics lol. Oh and all WiFi devices do seem to keep their connection but I rarely use them enough to notice something like that but I've never seen the WiFi go out like that periodically.

Message 9 of 14
MrReeceNC
Star

Could it be a MAC address issue as well? For some reason my internet will not work when trying to use the router's mac address and the one it is using now is my old motherboards lan MAC.  I've never been able to do the setup wizard because of this and I wonder if there is something in the modem that will only work with that old mac address.

Message 10 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Occasionally, depending on the ISP getting a new router it takes time for them to sync properly and reduced speeds can occur during that time so it is possible. If you set static/reserved IPs for your devices in LAN Settings then that may work and is usually what we recommend for an issue with these symptoms.
Message 11 of 14
MrReeceNC
Star

The issue still occurs regularly but I think it's just a software bug as I fixed the MAC address issue as well.  Either that or the router itself is the problem and if I need to I will return it for a new one since I bought a 2 year return protection plan on it.  If it still occurs after I replace it with another one then I'll know for sure that it has something to do with the ISP.

Message 12 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I would suggest you do get a replacement as you're easily able to do so, it may just be a faulty router and certainly shouldn't be happening multiple times a day.
Message 13 of 14
MrReeceNC
Star

Ok I will get that done this weekend and let you know if the problem persists.

Message 14 of 14
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7