× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear Nighthawk XR500 slow speeds

Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Very odd, disable QoS under Anti-Bufferbloat settings and then try it. If it stabilises then your QoS settings were causing the inconsistencies. If its the same then its like something else causing the issue.
Message 26 of 48
1yonger
Aspirant

The XR500 router tested the correct speed during the initial setup. For whatever bizarre reason the downgraded speeds were setup in the QoS menu under Anti-Bufferbloat.  Click on the three horizontal lines left of the wording and manually enter your speeds.

For Comcast, I am getting 300/20mbps (Ethernet only for my gaming PC) for the 250mbps tier plan. This will correct the "slow" speeds.  You can do an Xfinity Speed Test under your Comcast account or Fast.com to verify speed. It will be close to the 250mbps or higher.

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 27 of 48
Aje
Guide
Guide

Hello again,

After months of troubleshooting without any success I threw out my XR500 and reverted back to my old R7000.

Stability is back.

Speed is back.

And security is back.

Recommended solution.

Message 28 of 48
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If you do not come back to us and let us know you're still having a problem, then we're unable to help you resolve the issue.
Message 29 of 48
Aje
Guide
Guide

Judging by other this and other forums, and the poor software in the XR500 I say I made the right call. This product probably shouldn't have been released. Feels like it's still in Beta. Really badly optimized OS.

Either way, I'm using other Netgear products and they are working just great.

Message 30 of 48
Chriss204
Aspirant

So, I had an amazing experience with the router first day but then the next day I started experiencing nasty lags. I already set my anti bufferbloat to 70 each for download and upload, as well as setting the geo filter to 1000 miles. Am I experiencing this problem because not all of my devices I had connected to the previous wifi are connected to my xr500? Or is it because of something else? Please help I bought this router mainly for gaming on my ps4, but I have it setup on wifi because my modem is located in the living room, and my ps4 is in my room.
Message 31 of 48
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If not all your devices are connected behind the XR500 then QOS can not take effect properly as it will not be able to control all devices. ALL devices need to be connected behind the XR500 for QoS to be most effective and stop any local congestion. Make this change and have Anti-Bufferbloat set to Always.
Message 32 of 48
Chriss204
Aspirant

So I’ve tried what you told me to do, but I am still experiencing bad lags when I’m gaming.
Message 33 of 48
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Please follow our optimal settings guide: http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000077071-dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-acce... if you're still having issues after following it all please make a new topic with your settings and ping you're getting to the game
Message 34 of 48
Chriss204
Aspirant

So far I followed the guidlines and I noticed a better difference. I am not lagging as horrible as I was before but I am still lagging just a little bit. My ping is at 40ms by the way and I didn’t really change anything in the settings. I kept the bandwidth at 70 each for download and upload as well as setting the anti bufferbloat at always. I’ve also change the geo filter in the profile to fortnite (since I mainly play fortnite).
Message 35 of 48
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

40ms is a good ping. I’d suggest running tests to see if your base ping is fluctuating
Message 36 of 48
Chriss204
Aspirant

Okay cool thank you. How can I test my base ping though?
Message 37 of 48
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Message 38 of 48
cyberhex
Aspirant

SOLUTION: Re-run DumoOS the Setup Wizard. 

I had a similar issue where the speeds directly from my cable/fios modem were ~100mbps up/down but when connected through the XR500 they were about ~20mpbs.

I tried disabling the QoS settings but that did not help.

I noticed on the QoS page on DumoOS that it showed my download speed at 23mpbs and I couldn't find any place to re-test or customize the values but felt what I was seeing on the QoS page was quite a coincidence to what I was seeing in speed test reports. 

I re-ran the setup wizard on the XR500 and it started doing some speed test of its own. Once it completed now my speeds are at 100mpbs! up/down. 

I strongly suggest is that NetGear add a new button on the menu "Calibrate Speed" or "Speed Test" or if QoS is enabled that it periodically do a speed test to make sure the router is optimized. 

Message 39 of 48
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Well done for fixing this. And that's definitely a feature we will look to add in the future.

Message 40 of 48
BDubnTx
Aspirant

To piggyback on what he said, I had the same problem. I upgraded my package from 150mbs to 400mbs and no matter what my speed wouldn’t get over 160-170mbs.

Turns out my problem was the router doesn’t accommodate under QoS for faster speeds than original setup conditions automatically.

I had to manually go into the pull down within QoS and change the speed limit from 170 to 500. And now I’m getting 450-460mbs.

This should definitely be looked at, as it’s not something that jumps out at you and for a novice end user, this wouldn’t even be something that they look at.
Message 41 of 48
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Thanks for letting us know. This is on our roadmap to add for sure. Glad you solved your problem too.

Message 42 of 48
steggs
Initiate

So i have had this modem for a couple of months now and have had no issues.  Recently my speeds have dropped dramaticly and i cant work out why.

When i plug straight into the modem i get my normal speeds, but as soon as the router kicks in everything slows down.

Message 43 of 48
1yonger
Aspirant

The XR500 router tested the correct speed during the initial setup. For whatever bizarre reason the downgraded speeds were setup in the QoS menu under Anti-Bufferbloat.  Click on the three horizontal lines left of the wording and manually enter your speeds. Using Comcast Gigabit; so I set download at 1000 and upload at 40. Go into settings Admininstration->reboot. This will correct the "slow" speeds from the router.  Do a speed test like Fast.com to verify speed.

Message 44 of 48
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

@steggs - make sure you set your correct speeds in Anti-Bufferbloat’s options (in QoS). While you’re there, best disable QoS too and then run a speedtest and see if that works.

Also try setting your modem to bridge mode or modem mode if possible.
Message 45 of 48
steggs
Initiate

Thanks. It’s seems to have worked itself out. Not sure what happened but I will check those things you mentioned
Message 46 of 48
gwager08
Aspirant

I will be doing the same. QOS more like POS.
Message 47 of 48
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I've responded to your post gwager.
Message 48 of 48
Discussion stats
  • 47 replies
  • 16 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7