× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Nighthawk XR500 slow speeds

Nighthawk92
Aspirant

Netgear Nighthawk XR500 slow speeds

So I have a 1gig ISP package. When It tests the speed , It only comes up with 523.34mbps down and 254.87 up.. My package is for 1gig down and 250 up... I have speed tested the internet straight from the adtran fiber optic device(modem) to a laptop and have gotten 900+ mbps down and 240-50 up... what could be the issue here??
Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 6
Nighthawk92
Aspirant

Re: Netgear Nighthawk XR500 slow speeds

I am also using a cat6 Isignia Ethernet cable from the adtran fiber optic device(modem) to the xr500 wan port.
Message 2 of 6
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Could you first of all make sure QoS is set to maximise your bandwidth speeds: http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000076586-dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-spee...

Then are you able to set you modem to bridge mode or modem mode? It's possible that it's struggling to pass full speeds onto your router.

If that is not possible, can you check the CPU graph on the XR500 (found in System Information). Does it get fully maxed out when you run a speedtest?

Message 3 of 6
Nighthawk92
Aspirant

So i was doing a speedtest on my laptop using the ethernet cable i normally hook up to my ps4 pro.. amd i was getting 800+ mbps download and my 250up. The thing im wondering is why the speedtest the duma interface does is soo low? When you do the setup and checks for internet connection.. the interface then tests the speed to automatically give you values for the download and upload speeds in the qos settings.. thats where i received the 5xx download speed.. thats 500mbps off what my service calls for.. my laptop clearly read over 500mbps on a speedtest.net.. now do i adjust the values manually to a higher number for my download? I would assume the router should do that on its own.. what sense would there be for anyone to plug in a faster download speed than what they actually pay for. Or do i just leave the values the router plugged in automatically for my speeds??
Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 4 of 6
Nighthawk92
Aspirant

The speed test I did with my laptop was also with the sliders at 80/70.. qos only with high traffic priority.. just seems strange to me that the router itself speed tests in the 500s for download when I do the setup.
Message 5 of 6
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Hi - the test at the startup is just an automated speedtest from your WAN, so it could have been any number of reasons why it was lower that day e.g. a dodgy Speedtest server, your ISP had temporarily reduced your bandwidth etc.

Regardless, you should adjust the max speeds to your actual speeds. Do this in Anti-Bufferbloat's Advanced Options (in QoS)

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7