× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear R7000 on Xbox problem

z-ej
Tutor

Netgear R7000 on Xbox problem

Alright so I’ve searched the forum and haven’t found my specific problem yet.
I have my Xbox One X directly connected to the router so it’s not a WiFi issue. My internet provider goes above 500Mbps but ever since I have had this new router the max I can get is around 120Mbps. Obviously directly connected it should be the fastest device on the network but wifi on 5g has tested faster than that (up to 300Mbps). I’ve tried different router settings, enabled QoS, and prioritized the Xbox as highest priority. I’ve also tried different Ethernet cables and also directly connected the modem straight to the Xbox (which tested at 500Mbps so I know it is the router). What am I missing here?
Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 9
plemans
Guru

Re: Netgear R7000 on Xbox problem

What modem are you using? 

What firmware is it on? The agreed upon stable version for the R7000 is 1.0.9.42

Qos isn't recommended at speeds >250mbps. just an fyi. 

Message 2 of 9
z-ej
Tutor

The modem I have is from Spectrum E31N2V1

Firmware for the router is 1.0.9.88_10.2.88

Message 3 of 9
z-ej
Tutor

I went through my router settings again. Disabled QoS and enabled IPv6 which helped a little. Up to 180Mbps now but still not as high as I want it to be for a directly connected device. WiFi is still faster.

Message 4 of 9
plemans
Guru

did you try the .42 firmware? 

Message 5 of 9
z-ej
Tutor

I'm not sure how I would go about that. Sorry its been a while since I've messed around with settings and downgrading firmware. How would I do that? Also thanks for helping out!

Message 6 of 9
plemans
Guru

you'd go to the support site, download the .42 firmware, extract it, and then just follow the manual firmware update guide. But instead of using the new firmware, use the older version . 

https://kb.netgear.com/23960/How-do-I-manually-update-the-firmware-on-my-NETGEAR-router

Message 7 of 9
z-ej
Tutor

Just an update. I don't know why it worked but resetting the router to factory settings ended up working. On the Xbox hard wired I am getting 450+ mbps and WiFi is around 350. Thanks for your help!

Message 8 of 9
plemans
Guru

Glad to hear you got it working!
Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7