× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear XR500 Continues to crash 3 to 4 times a day 3 days after purchasing it.

jtman24
Aspirant

Netgear XR500 Continues to crash 3 to 4 times a day 3 days after purchasing it.

I recently purchase a netgear CM1000 modem and XR500 router. I'm on day 3 and I consistently deal with the router rebooting itself and nothing in the logs to suggest why. Don't want to give up hope right away as this was a big purchase. 

Firmware version: V2.3.2.56

Please let me know if there is anything else you need.

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 21
ConfusedJock
Aspirant

Re: Netgear XR500 Continues to crash 3 to 4 times a day 3 days after purchasing it.

I would like if someone responded to you. I am having the exact same issues.
Message 2 of 21
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Do you have it plugged into a power extender? If so plug it directly into a wall outlet and see if that helps. How do you know it reboots?
Message 3 of 21
Xcel
Apprentice

Honestly, I have been having this issue since I have bought this thing over a year ago. I have been holding on hoping that a fix would come via firmware but I am now sure this thing is just a piece of **bleep**. New firmware earlier today, awesome, maybe they fixed this thing. 5hrs later and it completely loses internet across all devices. At least before the update it would just be a couple of devices. I am convinced this router is fatally flawed and cannot be fixed. Love the DumaOS features but if you are going to be kicking me out of competitive team games then what good are those features. If someone tells me another Netgear/DumaOS model doesn't have these issues I will probably get it even though I got completely screwed on this $300 door stop. I don't want to reward them for doing this but there is really no direct competitor that I am aware of. Guess I'll do some research.

I have had many other routers and have never had any of the issues I have had with this one, it really needs to be recalled. 

Message 4 of 21
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Sorry to hear that. Try the 3.0 beta, if that doesn't work let us know there and we can look into it even further.
Message 5 of 21
jtman24
Aspirant

It was plugged into a power extender and I have switched it to the wall outlet and its happen half a dozen times still. 

Message 6 of 21
Xcel
Apprentice

I have tried the beta on a few occasions, biggest issue I have had with it is that many of my devices are not found by the router or are listed as offline when they are not.

Message 7 of 21
Xcel
Apprentice

Right now, can't use filtering and other various r-apps. How do I send a log?

Message 8 of 21
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

@jtman24 try the beta please.

@Xcel please post in the beta section for the issues and we can take a look, a log probably isn't required for the moment.
Message 9 of 21
Xcel
Apprentice

I went back to the non-beta firmware. 

Message 10 of 21
Xcel
Apprentice

The currrent issue is with the latest released firmware V2.3.2.66

Message 11 of 21
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Give it a reset and that should resolve it. We didn't make any changes in that version, was just security fixes by NG.
Message 12 of 21
Xcel
Apprentice

Why do I need to reset at least once a day? That is not really a solution.

Message 13 of 21
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

We'll be moving forward with 3.0 so would be best to try the beta again and tell us if you're having the issue on that so we can fix it.
Message 14 of 21
jtman24
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. Seems as if the link to download the Beta does not work unless I'm in the wrong spot. See screenshot attached.

Message 15 of 21
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Message 16 of 21
jtman24
Aspirant

Well after a few weeks with the 3.0 beta, I'm back to almost the same spot. It was good for a bit but the last week it has happened on average twice a day. Starting to get aggrevated that something that costs so much could have so many problems. Any additional help would be much appreciated.

Message 17 of 21
jtman24
Aspirant

@Xcel 

I've used ASUS before for gaming and never had the issues I'm having here. I was excited to get back to a Netgear router but leaning towards switching again unfortunately.

Message 18 of 21
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Did you do a factory reset after upgrading to the beta? If not I would recommend doing that to prevent any legacy issues causing problems.
Message 19 of 21
jtman24
Aspirant

@Netduma-Fraser 

I did that yesterday morning. Got everything set back up and it happened 3 times yesterday. Definitely feel like I took a step back. I'll say that it seems to happen more often when throwing a lot at it. Always happens when I'm in a game or potentially streaming a video to my pc. Regardless, I'm done trying. I'm just going to submit a return. Hope you guys figure this out. I'm clearly not the only one and it's super aggrevating.

Message 20 of 21
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Sorry to hear that but thank you for the information you've provided and I hope you consider it again in the future.
Message 21 of 21
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7