× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear XR500 Unnamed devices

TheRealOC
Aspirant

Netgear XR500 Unnamed devices

Hi there, I'm having some trouble with my XR500. 

I hadn't checked in on routerlogin.net dashboard for a few months, and when I checked the Device Manager today there were a lot of 'unnamed devices' that I didn't recognise. I checked around the house and confirmed that none of them corresponded to actual devices in the house, so I figured they were probably guests' devices that had logged into the wifi network over the last number of months, so I deleted most of them. 

However, 

1) There were 2-3 of these 'unnamed devices' actively logged onto one of the wifi networks so I got an 'Unable to delete device beccause it is online' error message when I tried to delete them (even though none of these corresponds to actual physical devices in the house)

2) When I checked back in a few hourss later, there were about 6 new 'unnamed devices' in the offline section of Device Manager. I switched the XR500 off and on again, but this did nothing. 

Can anyone please advise on how to fix this problem without doing a hard factory reset?

Many thanks

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 6
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: Netgear XR500 Unnamed devices

When you checked to see if these corresponded to devices in the house did you go by name only or did you use the IP/MAC address to check?
Message 2 of 6
TheRealOC
Aspirant

Hi @Netduma-Fraser 

I made a list of all the devices in the house and checked them against the devices that were showing up in the XR500 dashboard.

All of the actual physical devices in the house had names that were populated automatically from their individual device settings in the XR500 dashboard (e.g. My iphone was called MYIPHONE7)

Message 3 of 6
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Were the IPs in the same subnet as your other devices? Could you provide the first half of a few of the MAC addresses so I could take a look please?
Message 4 of 6
TheRealOC
Aspirant

Thanks for following up, much appreciated. 🙂

There are currently 10 unnamed devices, of which 7 have the same first six digits in their MAC addresses. 

None of the unnamed devices share the first half of a MAC address with any of the actual physcal devices that I know should be there. DMing you the numbers now. 

Message 5 of 6
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Thanks for that information, could you send a full MAC address for the first two halves you sent as I couldn't find anything related to those so might have better luck with the full address. For the last two I found they are Amazon & Netgear devices so do you have any of those connected to the router?
Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7