× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear XR500 does not work fast (intermittent connectivity issues) with Apple iPhone XS

MAPE15
Guide

Netgear XR500 does not work fast (intermittent connectivity issues) with Apple iPhone XS

I have a XR 500 that is running the latest firmware and has been factory reset. I am running into an issue with using Wi-Fi and iOS apps on my iPhone XS (4th one replaced since September). My connectivity for loading Facebook, Instagram, Spotify, Snapchat, and other related apps is slow/non-existent. Sometimes it loads fine then a few moments later, it cannot refresh the feed in which it times out or says I do not have internet connection. I am running AT&T U-Verse Gigabit fiber running in IP Passthrough/Bridge mode so my XR500 does all the work. This issue only happens on my iPhone XS while my PC, Mac, Androids run fine with no issue. I have also did network reset on iPhone along with factory restores and replacements. Apple thinks its my ISP (AT&T) or Router Manufacturer (Netgear). I have tried to modify channels for preventing antenna interference, changed DNS to Google and Cloudflare, and other tweaks. I am not sure what else to try to resolve the issue on my iPhone. I noticed that connecting to a VPN client/service improves the connection but still needs work. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have a video that I cannot attach but can send it to you with DropSend if you want to see what my issue is. Please let me know if you think there is something with my router or ISP's connection.

Thank you!

MAPE15

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 36
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: Netgear XR500 does not work fast (intermittent connectivity issues) with Apple iPhone XS

Hi MAPE, are you using Smart Connect for WiFi? If so disable that and try to connect to one of the individual 2.4GHz or 5GHz networks, does that work?
Message 2 of 36
MAPE15
Guide

Hi Fraser,

Yes even with smart connect turned off and isolating the frequencies, the issue still persists. I am not sure what else to try.
Message 3 of 36
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Having a look online it looks like a few people are experiencing the same thing. Are you on the latest available iOS version? Forget the XR500 network then enter your details in again and try please
Message 4 of 36
MAPE15
Guide

I am using the latest 12.1.1 iOS and have done that troubleshooting step as well. The issue only seems to lessen when I connect to a VPN client/service provider. I have tried every common troubleshooting step along with working with apple engineers for the last couple months. I think the routers firmware is bad or the router itself something is wrong. What do you think?
Message 5 of 36
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Going through a VPN would indicate the ISP is potentially throttling it somehow. Do you get full speed through it if you connect to the ISP hub wifi?
Message 6 of 36
MAPE15
Guide

My ISP is not throttling as when I do a speed test with no VPN connected I get full speed for each device. I also have this issue affecting only my iPhone and no other devices. Running a Traceroute to Facebook from my phone shows timeouts and high ms latency. I am not sure why my iPhone is affected but others aren't.
Message 7 of 36
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That's what I mean, it might be throttling the phone for some reason. Set DNS on the phone itself rather than the router
Message 8 of 36
MAPE15
Guide

So set the phone's DNS settings to override my routers choice? I thought the router overrides the users choice? If that doesn't work, would it be something with the router or AT&T?
Message 9 of 36
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Yes exactly. It does but just incase the router DNS isn't taking or the iPhone is trying to supercede it somehow. I'd test with the AT&T hub first and if thats not working then its an ISP/hub issue. If it is then likely something that needs to be explored further by the XR500 developers.
Message 10 of 36
MAPE15
Guide

It turns out to be something wrong with my XR500 as it works fine on the ISP wifi modem. I think the DumaOS or the firmware are not compatible or has a software bug. Can we escalate this somehow to the XR500 developers? I do not have technical support subscription to do that myself.

Message 11 of 36
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Ok - I suspect it's on the hardware side of things rather than DumaOS, so I'll pass this forum thread onto NETGEAR.

Message 12 of 36
MAPE15
Guide

Ok please do! I need to see what the developers and engineers think. Do they need any logs I can provide?
Message 13 of 36
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

They may do - but they can let you know on this. I've passed it on already so hopefully you hear from them soon Smiley Happy

Message 14 of 36
MAPE15
Guide

Okay cool since I've been dealing with this issue since October! Working with apple on this issue as well. I can't believe using a VPN allows me to work around the issue but without it I can't do anything.
Message 15 of 36
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

OK - definitely odd. It's just your phone that's affected right? All other devices operate without issues?

Message 16 of 36
MAPE15
Guide

Correct and I just installed latest firmware and the issue still exists. Only device affected is iPhone XS.
Message 17 of 36
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Ok, thanks. Hope you get it fixed.

Message 18 of 36
MAPE15
Guide

I hope so too. Any updates from the xr500 developers?
Message 19 of 36
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I've just chased them so will let you know if I hear anything!
Message 20 of 36
MAPE15
Guide

Thank you!

Message 21 of 36
MAPE15
Guide

Hi Netduma-Fraser!

Belated Merry Christmas. Do you have any updates from the XR500 developers?

Message 22 of 36
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! Unfortunately not, as you can imagine with the holiday season lots of people have time off. Hopefully will hear something in the start of the new year.
Message 23 of 36
MAPE15
Guide

Understood! Happy New Year! Also, I see that my new echo dot 3rd generation does not work with my xr500. It drops the connection constantly. I've turned off smart connect as well.
Message 24 of 36
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay interesting, I'm sure you've already tried but take a look at https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201602110
Message 25 of 36
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 35 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7