× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear XR500 on Plusnet

Djimi
Guide

Netgear XR500 on Plusnet

Hello community,

Please help. I've just set up my New Netgear XR500 on Plusnet. Seems to be working but cannot disable the WiFi on the Plusnet router so now have two devices giving out WiFi. Anyone got any ideas?

Many thanks
Message 1 of 19
BIG_DOG
Luminary

Hi.

You have to log into the plusnet router via it's login interface and disable the wifi. This is a link for the types of routers plusnet use. I hope 1 of these will solve your wifi issue.   https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/router-user-guides/

Alternatively you could ring their customer service number and 1 of their advisors will talk you through it.

Message 2 of 19
Djimi
Guide

I've looked through loads of help things & chatted to someone online but they couldn't help. The plus net 'fix' on their forum is buy a third party modem. Thanks anyway.
Message 3 of 19
Killhippie
Prodigy

If you have a hub one, that defeinate;y cant be used in bridge only mode. You can get a Netgear Modem pretty cheeply, or pick up and old BT openreach modem, tenner or so off ebay, but I would go with the netgear modem as its much newer. There are other modems like the Vigor 130 but that is much more expensive and runs quite warm too.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-DM200-100EUS-High-Speed-Broadband-Modem/dp/B01GL3YPHI

Message 4 of 19
Djimi
Guide

Thanks. Yes that's what their forum said. I was going to go for the Dm200 from Amazon but as I would like to sort it out today I'm going to go to argos & try this.
http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5728882?storeID=4162&cmpid=GS001&_$ja=tsid:59158|cid:598893978|agid:2...

There were also a couple of recent reviews on amazon on the Dm200 that put me off as well. One saying that it wasn't compatible with their netgear router & one saying the setup is fiddly.

I'm going to give this argos one a go & if it fails I'll try & return it and get the Dm200.

Many thanks for your help.
Message 5 of 19
Killhippie
Prodigy

Thats a modem router again, which will need putting in bridge mode to work, should be fine though. Good luck.

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 6 of 19
Djimi
Guide

Thanks buddy! Will keep you posted. Hopefully I can figure it out, if not will go for an out and out modem like the draytek 130.
Message 7 of 19
BIG_DOG
Luminary

The hauwei openreach modem hg612 if favoured by many as you can buy a hacked 1 for about £30 which allows you to view your line stats. Or just get a. standard openreach modem as it is just plug n play. They are inexpensive and never needs attention once connected.
Message 8 of 19
Djimi
Guide

Thank you. Will take a look.
Message 9 of 19
Killhippie
Prodigy

The HG612 is getting a bit long in the tooth but they do work well, I'm on an ECI Cab and my line likes the ECI version better by about 7Mbps, which is a nightmare as it needs a hardware hack for stats.  If you do grab a HG612 get a 3B version, the others had issues with overheating, also make sure as BIG_DOG said its been updated to the latest firmware to support G.inp and also so you can get stats off it if you want them.

Message 10 of 19
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Just to add - I assume you are trying to turn off the WiFi to prevent interference with the XR500? If so, you could try swtiching the plusnet router to something less used like channel 2 and make sure the Xr500 is on a different channel e.g. 11. Then see if the XR500 WiFi is everything you expect. If so, it will save you having to spend £30 or so on a new modem.

Message 11 of 19
Djimi
Guide

Right. I got the TP link from argos and have set it to modem mode. Now the netgear can't get a WiFi! Says connected but no Internet. Have connected to the laptop and gone into the Duma OS to try and run the setup wizard again. Enters the pppoe username and password for my plusnet account but just keeps failing. Losing the will to live here! Help!!!
Message 12 of 19
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I would highly recommend calling Netgears 24/7 English Support Line as they should very quickly be able to resolve the issue you're having. They are much more familiar with the Settings as they created it. Sign in here: http://support.netgear.com/and you should get a number to call.
Message 13 of 19
BIG_DOG
Luminary

The TP-Link router you purchased will handle the pppoe connection for you, theres no need to insert the pppoe login into the xr500 dumaOS at all. Disconnect the xr500 from the tp link and connect your pc/laptop to the tp link lan 1 port. Do a factory reset of the tp-link and set it up via your laptop and follow the on screen prompts and when you get to the screen where you select your isp info insert your pppoe details and complete setup. Once completed make sure to disable wifi and upnp on the tp link. Disconnect pc/laptop from lan 1 and connect the xr500 then your laptop to lan 1 and an ethernet cable from lan 1 of tp link into wan port of xr500. Then, plug power cord back into xr500 and do a factory reset via pinhole at rear but make sure you press it in for 30 seconds to do reset. Once the reboot cycle has completed you should be able to configure the xr500 as you want. You will have to take a note of your xr500 ip address and log into the tp link router and insert that ip address into the dmz of the tp link!

Message 14 of 19
BIG_DOG
Luminary

after my last comment i spotted you said cannot connect to tp link via wifi once you put it in modem only mode. You cannot, it has to be connected via ethernet to the tp link in order to get a connection and theat will allow you to get internet access via the xr500. You can then do pppoe that way through the xr500 or use the method in my last post which most users with a modem/router use! Don't want to confuse you just give you connection options as you have 2 to choose from!

Message 15 of 19
Djimi
Guide

I've got it working. The second factory reset and unplugging etc seems to have worked. I went to the netgear start up menu & it still wanted ISP login & password but this time it worked.

Now have TP-link in modem mode, the two WiFi frequencies and the PlayStation is working via ethernet. Just need to sort the Duma settings now.

One thing you mentioned that I didn't do is put the address from the XR500 into the TPlink. Do I still need to do that?

Many thanks for your help & patience with me.
Message 16 of 19
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

As TP link is in modem mode you don't need to enable DMZ on it or anything else with it.
Message 17 of 19
BIG_DOG
Luminary

Glad it is all working for you now and you are up and running. If you need any further help just give a shout. 

Message 18 of 19
Djimi
Guide

Cheers Big_Dog!
Message 19 of 19
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7