× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear XR500

jdennis1014
Aspirant

Netgear XR500

I’m getting really slow upload speeds on my PS4 Pro hooked up through my xr500. My internet speeds are 900mbps download and 18mbps upload. When I test my speed through the PS4 Pro I’m getting a good download speed but average 1.5 to 1.7 upload speed. When I disable QOS in my xr500. I getting between 3.3 to 3.8 upload speed. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Message 1 of 19
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: Netgear XR500

Are you connected via WiFi or ethernet? What is the model of the modem/router the XR is connected to? Console speed tests are not always accurate, if you do a speed test on a PC and it's getting the correct speeds then it likely is on the console as well.
Message 2 of 19
jdennis1014
Aspirant

I’m connected by Ethernet, I have the xfinity XB7 in bridge mode.
Message 3 of 19
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If you upload a large gameplay from the PS4 for example, what speed does it upload at?
Message 4 of 19
jdennis1014
Aspirant

Not sure what u mean by uploading a large gameplay. I don’t do any live steaming, just online multiplayer gaming COD.
Message 5 of 19
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If you just do a recording of some gameplay and then upload it to YT - you could do it unlisted for example and then you can see at what speed it is uploading, seeing whether the speed test is correct or not.
Message 6 of 19
jdennis1014
Aspirant

I have never upload any kind of video to YT before
Message 7 of 19
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Instead use the PS4 web browser (https://www.lifewire.com/ps4-web-browser-4134707) and go to a speedtest site, you may need to try a few to see what one works then see what upload speed you get there. It's not ideal but may give a better idea.
Message 8 of 19
jdennis1014
Aspirant

Did the speed test I got 917.85 download and 18.58 upload ping 22
Message 9 of 19
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay great so the console is receiving the speeds it's supposed to be, the in built test just won't be as accurate
Message 10 of 19
jdennis1014
Aspirant

Got online to game and got slow upload speed again. I went to do another speed test and now my upload speed says a socket error and want get me a speed reading
Message 11 of 19
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It's likely just the test misbehaving, if you're able to play a game then your upload speed will be fine
Message 12 of 19
jdennis1014
Aspirant

I’m able to play but I’m experiencing laggy game play when I’m in game. When I’m at the scene to start a game images takes a long time to load
Message 13 of 19
jdennis1014
Aspirant

Also I went to setup my lan connect in my PS4 Pro I manually enter all the information I used the Google dns and ran my test connection speed was still very low. I went into the XR500 log in page the XR500 has my dns has what my ISP has provided. Does this need I can’t use the Google dns?
Message 14 of 19
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If that was the speed at fault that would be the download. What ping are you seeing in game and via the Geo-Filter?
You should set DNS via the router compared to the device, would also suggest using automatic settings on the console.
Message 15 of 19
jdennis1014
Aspirant

Ok I will try this out. Do you think putting in a new dns setting in the xr500 will give me faster download and upload speed?
Message 16 of 19
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Let us know how you get on! No, DNS will have very little affect on your bandwidth speeds.

Message 17 of 19
jdennis1014
Aspirant

Played a few games only 1 game turned out well ping in game was 29ms to 32ms. Looks like I was pinged on a dedicated server. The rest of the games pinged in the 59ms to 75ms. Modern warfare in game search ping was 71ms to 90ms. I have my ping set to 30ms. Also I was thinking of getting rid of my xfinity XB7 modern router combo. Whats a good modem that will match up to the Nighthawk XR500.
Message 18 of 19
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

In future, try denying the servers that aren't giving you a good experience. I don't have any personal reccomendations on a modem myself, I simply use the ISP provided one currently.

Message 19 of 19
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7