× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Xr500 no Internet

Wieczor17
Guide

Netgear Xr500 no Internet

HI Guys hope you can help me I have netgear xr500 plugged in to Virgin Media Hub 4 in modem mode that doesn't get WAN IP. I tried conning MAC from previous router that didn't work, I power cycled it with hub multiple times but no luck either. Check multiple posts online and still cant figure it out. I can log in to router it shows my WiFi etc but WAN light is flashing orange all the time. Any suggestions ? inbound6715920549855246791 (1).jpgreceived_259350519641544.jpgreceived_259350519641544.jpegreceived_259350519641544.jpeg

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 25
Wieczor17
Guide

Re: Netgear Xr500 no Internet

Message 2 of 25
Wieczor17
Guide

Message 3 of 25
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I have Virgin and the same hub, I find the modem mode to be a bit finicky and usually recommend setting it back to router mode. Then you could copy the WAN IP from the XR System Information page and put it in the hub DMZ to ensure you get an Open NAT.

If you really want to use it in modem mode, the boot order can dictate how easily you can establish a connection. Reboot the hub, wait 2 minutes, then reboot the XR, wait 2 minutes and see if it works.
Message 4 of 25
Wieczor17
Guide

Thanks for the advice,

If I use first method do I need to disable WiFi in VM hub 4? I guess that would mean VM hub is in router mode and Xr500 in AP mode?

I tried the power cycle like 100 times already with both switched off even for 30 min and every time the outcome is the same not WAN IP
Message 5 of 25
Wieczor17
Guide

After following first method internet light is still orange and I lost access to DumaOS via 192.168.1.1
Message 6 of 25
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

First method you do not need to disable WiFi on the hub and don't put the XR in AP mode, the IP to access it will change and you'll lose the features you purchased it for so if that's what you did access it using routerlogin.net and revert back.

How are the two routers physically connected?
Message 7 of 25
Wieczor17
Guide

I tried connecting them with cat 5e and cat 6 cable. Tried all ports on VM hub 4 and WAN port on Xr500.

I have purchased it yesterday and person I got it from said it worked fine in his setup but I can't make it work with mine. I did as you said with disabling the WiFi on VM Hub and and using routerlogin.netbut still no access to the Duma OS and light is orange
Message 8 of 25
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Have you factory reset the XR since you received it? If not I would do that as it may have settings enabled for the previous connection and preventing it working with yours
Message 9 of 25
Wieczor17
Guide

Yes, factory reset, flashed original firmware from netgear website etc.. Still no luck 😞
Message 10 of 25
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If you connect a PC to the hub via wifi or ethernet do you get internet? I have the same hub and it should be plug and play really
Message 11 of 25
Wieczor17
Guide

Yes, when I connect to VM hub 4 in router mode I have Internet access. I have purchased Archer C7 V5 and it also works with VM hub 4 in modem mode.
Message 12 of 25
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

After a factory reset is there any settings at all that you have changed on the XR and likewise on the hub other than modem/router mode?
Message 13 of 25
Wieczor17
Guide

After factory reset all the details like WiFi are default from the back of the Xr500 so all the settings are like out of box
Message 14 of 25
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

On the hub does it show the XR as a connected device and if so does it show an IP address? If so what is it?
Message 15 of 25
Wieczor17
Guide

It doesn't show XR as connected device
Message 16 of 25
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Is DHCP enabled on the hub? May be best to do a factory reset of the hub, set that up then plug in the XR to it and reboot the XR if necessary
Message 17 of 25
Wieczor17
Guide

Looks like DHCP is enabled, should it be disabled? Il do factory reset again on the VM hub
Message 18 of 25
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It should be enabled, okay keep us posted!
Message 19 of 25
Wieczor17
Guide

Done factory reset again on both devices and still orange light on Internet 😞 don't know what else I can do 😞
Message 20 of 25
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I think you may need to contact VM as there is no reason I can see from both a Virgin Media customer and tech standpoint for why it isn't working
Message 21 of 25
Wieczor17
Guide

I'll give them a call tomorrow morning and see what they say. Thank you very much for all your time and advice in this matter.
Message 22 of 25
Wieczor17
Guide

Virgin media said it all looks fine their end.
Is it possible that the router is somehow locked to the previous owners WAN ip?
Message 23 of 25
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

I don't believe that's the problem, which firmware version are you using on the XR?

I don't see how it could cause an issue, but it's best to make sure you're upgraded to the latest version.

You mention you've got an Archer as well, could you please connect that to the VM hub, then connect the XR to the Archer and see if the XR is able to get an IP from the Archer?

Message 24 of 25
Wieczor17
Guide

Router is on 2.3.2.130 latest firmware. I am meeting peron I got it from today, he will test it in his house but before I'll leave ill try and test one more time connecting to Archer router.
Message 25 of 25
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7