× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear app

P44EFC
Apprentice

Netgear app

I have the netgear app on my phone and I use it to pause certain applications at times, I can also check for updates and my current speed as you know.

Recently I have noticed when I do a speed test on the app it is giving me an extremely high ping, the speed test in the app gives me full speeds however my usual ping of 8ms has risen to over 40ms.

When i do a speed test over WiFi I get 11ms still so getting 40ms directly you the xr500 is worrying.

I’m getting lag online at the moment and presumed it was simply due to lockdown but maybe not.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Virgin media vm350 package getting 386 download and 36 upload.

Super hub in modem mode to the xr500
Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: Netgear app

The ping on the speed test is not directly to the router, it is to speedtest.net and whatever server they are using. If you use the speed test site you can select which server you use but not via the app so it could be using a server which isn't close to you. Also as you're testing via WiFi the ping can be higher as well especially if there are more devices using WiFi around you, neighbors etc. What is the average ping you're getting to the game as shown by the Geo-Filter?
Message 2 of 9
P44EFC
Apprentice

Ah ok I presumed the app was direct to the router no problem, with it lagging online thought it coincided with the higher ping.

Maybe just congestion at the isp end die to lockdown then.

I was saying the opposite however the Speedtest sits over WiFi has been giving 11ms with the app showing 40ms at the moment.

I’ll check average in geo filter tonight.

Thanks.
Message 3 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That's what I mean, on the app you can't choose the speedtest server so it may be picking one further away than the one you use normally.
Message 4 of 9
P44EFC
Apprentice

Is it likely the server on the app you use changes as that’s the one I always got 8ms ping, probably for over a year now but all of a sudden it’s risen drastically.

Just want to make sure nothing has changed as 40ms on the app then 11 on the speed test site via WiFi was confusing.

Also due to current lag I Re set up a think broadband BQM to view but for some reason it isn’t finding it and I’m getting a completely red graph although I’m connected.

Does the xr500 block the bqm? It never used to.
Message 5 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If you're getting normal ping on speedtest.net then nothing to worry about. We don't specifically block anything like that, how do you have it set up?
Message 6 of 9
P44EFC
Apprentice

The usual way I do when I test it, out the basic details in such as external ip and postcode etc but when I take a look it’s coming back with a full red like I’m disconnected.
Message 7 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If you use something like PingPlotter which we recommend over things like this do you see a similar result? Also Traffic Prioritization on occasion can impact the result sometimes so try with that disabled.
Message 8 of 9
P44EFC
Apprentice

Think it’s virgin media issue seems quite common looking on google
Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements