× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear gaming

PoPeYe-1990
Aspirant

Netgear gaming

hi,

Can anyone help, i want to look into buying a gaming router. At the moment i use a powerline adapter to get the wired connection into the games room, i still get good speeds but would like to see what these routers are all about.

would i still get the benefits of it being downstairs? or could i plug it in upstairs through the powerline adapter? 

Thank you

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: Netgear gaming

Yes you can still make use of the features by having it connected through the power line adapter. I'd recommend modem > XR500 > power line adapter so the XR has full control.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8

All Replies
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Powerline adapters aren't ideal but if you get good speeds then that is fine. It would be best to have all devices connected to the router if possible so that it can control all devices and eliminate lag and buffering. If that wasn't possible you're still able to benefit from the Geo-Filter feature. Take a look at the routers here: https://www.netgear.com/gaming/
Message 2 of 8
PoPeYe-1990
Aspirant

hi,

if i was to plug it into my router would i still get the benfits its not directly plugged into my console/pc?

Basically theres no way i can get my router directly into my gaming consoles without the use of a powerline adapter, so i dont want to buy one and not be able to use its full potential.

also which one would you reccomend with my curent setup?

Thank you 

Message 3 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Yes you can still make use of the features by having it connected through the power line adapter. I'd recommend modem > XR500 > power line adapter so the XR has full control.
Message 4 of 8
PoPeYe-1990
Aspirant

hi,

Sorry to be a pain but it would it really make a difference if i didnt put it into the powerline so just doing Modem > router or would putting it into the powerline help with where the other powerline is situated? i.e upstairs in another room if that makes sense 😕

thank you 

Message 5 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I think I understand, you could try it without the power line, it depends if the WiFi will reach downstairs. Either way should be fine and you'll be able to receive the benefits.
Message 6 of 8
PoPeYe-1990
Aspirant

hi,

Its more if i would get the wired benefits of the xr300/500 if it goes through the powerline which connects to my pc in another room? Wifi isnt really an issue but im hoping with the software that comes with the netgear products i can fine tune all of that to help my wired connection a little more.

Thank you 

Message 7 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Best setup would be ISP hub/modem connected to the XR in the same room, then run the power line from the XR to the room and you'll have full benefits everywhere.
Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7