× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear nighthawk pro gaming xr500 problems with Fortnite?

Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: Netgear nighthawk pro gaming xr500 problems with Fortnite?

Your modem only plot was done using IPv6, whats the model of your modem/router?
Message 26 of 41
JFoltz3
Aspirant

Netgear CM1000 docsis 3.1 modem

Message 27 of 41
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay lets go the other way and enable IPv6 on the XR and see if it is any better at all.
Message 28 of 41
JFoltz3
Aspirant

Which setting should I put it on for the IPv6 of the XR500? The options are auto detect, auto config, 6to4 Tunnel, 6rd, Pass Through, Fixed, DHCP, and PPPoE.

Message 29 of 41
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Go for Auto Detect as we're not sure what those settings are specifically.
Message 30 of 41
JFoltz3
Aspirant

I did auto detect and then proceeded to run a ping plotter test. The results were the same as before, maybe even worse. There was however some settings within the auto detect that I had no idea what to do with. I will link a picture. Each different mode that I described in the previous post had its own unique settings like it does for the auto detect. 

Message 31 of 41
JFoltz3
Aspirant

Message 32 of 41
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Enable the DHCP Server option instead of Auto Config. Then also change IPv6 Filtering to Open. I'm also thinking lets change DNS as well, select use these DNS Servers and input these for Primary and Secondary:

2606:4700:4700::1111
2606:4700:4700::1001

Then apply. Also in Internet Setup change the DNS to 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 and apply. Then redo your tests, one with IPv6 enabled and one without it please using the same 45% you had before.
Message 33 of 41
JFoltz3
Aspirant

First one is with IPv6 and the second is without.

Message 34 of 41
JFoltz3
Aspirant

Message 35 of 41
JFoltz3
Aspirant

Message 36 of 41
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Not much difference there unfortunately, it does look like you're doing it during peak times. If you do the test later on or earlier is there any differences?
Message 37 of 41
JFoltz3
Aspirant

Just did it at 10:30pm and it was just as bad.

Message 38 of 41
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Through all this, what ping are you seeing on the Geo-Filter and the game if you enable ping stats? Do you see it spike much?
Message 39 of 41
JFoltz3
Aspirant

I have yet to check the ping through the geo filter. The ping when I play Fortnite is actually decent when it is working. Like 40-50. However, every 5 minutes or so, my net debug stats will show a large red X beside the ping number. At that point I'm pretty much unable to do anything. I teleport, rubberband, freeze, etc. when the red X comes up. After a minute or two the red X will go away and I'll be able to play for little bit, just for it to come back 5 minutes later. When the red X comes up, the ping number itself doesn't change that much, however there will be a lot of red lines on the graph beside the ping number. Pretty sure this graph displays my connection quality.

Message 40 of 41
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It would be really interesting if you could take a look at the Geo-Filter ping graph to see what is shows when that happens. If nothing happens and it continues at a good ping then it indicates a server issue.
Message 41 of 41
Discussion stats
  • 40 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7