× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear xr 500 router DISCONNECT ISSUES WITH XBOX 1X

Bcon
Aspirant

Netgear xr 500 router DISCONNECT ISSUES WITH XBOX 1X

My XR 500 router was doing fine since October when I bought it. The last few weeks I've been getting disconnect issues on a "daily" basis when I wasn't on my xbox or PC. I notice this when I'm inactive for atleast 8 hours or so. After reading posts here I've switched from instant on to energy saver on my Xbox1x. This has solved the issue. It's been 4 days now with no disconnect.  The firmware update I'm using is 2.3 2.40. The router says I'm up to date. Is there a fix for this issue so I can use instant on as I did in the past. Thanks....

Message 1 of 12
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Hi there - Microsoft and NETGEAR are working on finding a solution to this. One thing that I heard worked for some users is to put a switch between the router and the Xbox. So if you have a switch in your home, you could give this a try. No guarantee it will work though!

Message 2 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

How is the xbox connected? Wired or wireless? 

How is the PC connected? 

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

@Bcon wrote:

My XR 500 router was doing fine since October when I bought it. The last few weeks I've been getting disconnect issues on a "daily" basis when I wasn't on my xbox or PC. I notice this when I'm inactive for atleast 8 hours or so. After reading posts here I've switched from instant on to energy saver on my Xbox1x. This has solved the issue. It's been 4 days now with no disconnect.  The firmware update I'm using is 2.3 2.40. The router says I'm up to date. Is there a fix for this issue so I can use instant on as I did in the past. Thanks....

Message 3 of 12
Bcon
Aspirant

I have 2 PC's and my xbox1x all hardwired. As far as neighbors with wifi. I have one neighbor that has it. I live in a rural area. My issue is a xbox instant on capability issue with this router like the previous poster mentioned. I'm fine with that. Since I went to energy saver mode I also notice my controller connects up all the time where as before sometimes it didn't. 

Message 4 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

So does the xbox seem to be working better now? 

Message 5 of 12
Bcon
Aspirant

so far yeah. I haven't had any disconnects from my controller to the console. It take a xtra minute to log into my game with power save mode on. I can live with that.

Message 6 of 12
serpentdeceiver
Aspirant

You've been saying this for a while now. After waiting month after month for this router to have its issues fixed, I think it's safe to say nobody is actually trying to fix anything. I am sure Microsoft and Netgear, together, could have come up with a solution faster than this if they really had competent people dedicated to the issue.

Netgear support can only ask you to reset the router every time and then turn all the features I bought the router for off. They read off a script and don't seem to actually know of this issue.  Do you find it acceptable that the only solution, after all this time, is to turn features off on expensive, premium devices?  We paid extra for something that actually does less than routers three times less expensive.  We paid so much extra, and the only thing we got out of this was less.  $300 for a buggy and mostly average router. Thanks.

@Netduma_Jack wrote:

Hi there - Microsoft and NETGEAR are working on finding a solution to this. One thing that I heard worked for some users is to put a switch between the router and the Xbox. So if you have a switch in your home, you could give this a try. No guarantee it will work though!

Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok good to hear. 

The main issue is with MS and this Instant ON feature on xbox. Appeared soon after the xbox one came to market. We thought they had fixed this however seems to have appeared again. This is a MS issue. MS isn't known well for fixing this fast or if at all. Smiley Frustrated

@Bcon wrote:

so far yeah. I haven't had any disconnects from my controller to the console. It take a xtra minute to log into my game with power save mode on. I can live with that.

Message 8 of 12
Bcon
Aspirant

I read other posts that have the same issues using PS4's. I don't think it's a total microsoft problem

Message 9 of 12
serpentdeceiver
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

This is a MS issue. MS isn't known well for fixing this fast or if at all. Smiley Frustrated

Are you really trying to pass off an issue that seems pretty unique to this particular router as an issue with the XBox One itself?  A)That just doesn't past a smell test B) I doubt you actually believe what you wrote, yourself and C) If you can blame Microsft, you must know what the problem is.  Please enlighten everyone here.  Please call Netgear and explain it to them, because they obviously haven't the slightest clue what is going on with their router.

Message 10 of 12
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Not trying to put fuel on any fire here, but I think others have experienced this problem with other routers too. Big thread on Reddit here: https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/8vlibw/does_anyone_elses_xbox_one_x_wake_up_from_instant/

My personal guess is there's some issue between the Switch and the Xbox when it's in Standby.

MS & NG both trying to work together on a permanent fix. It's harder than a normal bug though because it only happens to a small % of users, which makes it tricky to nail down the cause.

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

The issue did start with MS. It doesn't only effect NG routers, other routers are effected as well. Long experience, This is NOT the first time MS has an issue and either takes a long time to fix it or doesn't fix it at all. Yes both game console mfrs have a hand to play in this along with router mfrs. It's a two party system. LOL. 

One classic issue that MS never really fixed, on the 360 slim with Wifi, the connection rate on older generation routers at the time, was maxed at 130Mb on 2.4Ghz. If you had a newer generation router, at the time, the wifi rate maxed out at 11Mb. Come to find out the drivers with in the 360 Slim was to blame. MS never did anything to fix that. Smiley Sad

Not say MS is completely to blame, however the feature is theres and it started there. MS seems a bit more proactive on getting somet thigns fixed. It took me and others a while to get them to fix the NAT issue with routers that don't support FULL CONE NAT and having two or more game consoles online at the the same time. Still a problem for mutliplayer online games though with certain Mfr routers. Some router mfrs don't allow for FULL CONE NAT which the game mfrs seems to have not caught up on. This is a multi layer problem. Thankfully NG allows for changing of NAT kind. Heart

Hopefully NG and MS can get this Instant ON thing fixed and finally put it to rest. Keeps cropping up here and there thought. Smiley Frustrated

@serpentdeceiver wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

This is a MS issue. MS isn't known well for fixing this fast or if at all. Smiley Frustrated

Are you really trying to pass off an issue that seems pretty unique to this particular router as an issue with the XBox One itself?  A)That just doesn't past a smell test B) I doubt you actually believe what you wrote, yourself and C) If you can blame Microsft, you must know what the problem is.  Please enlighten everyone here.  Please call Netgear and explain it to them, because they obviously haven't the slightest clue what is going on with their router.

Message 12 of 12
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7