× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Network Map is just plain wrong.

psykixx
Star

Network Map is just plain wrong.

My network map shows only 1 device on 2.4GHZ and 1 device on 5GHZ.

All the ones on the EX8000 show as wired (I raised that in another post, so ignore for now)

All other devices show as Offline. Makes no sense!

One other thing, on the back of the box there is a panel labelled Monitor Internet Utilization & Game Ping and the traffic is shown by category. Where is that panel? I can't find anything that categorises traffic.

Finally, the network map isn't the greatest of designs. The names of devices are cut off, so hard to tell what things are when they are named after the person the device belongs to.

Maybe have a look at the way Unifi shows the network map, and adapt to suit 🙂

InkedSketch--3-_LI

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 7
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Hi - sometimes the Network Map can take 30 seconds or so to update when a device is online. Could you check it again to see if it accurately shows them now.

The wired appearance of the extender is something we know we need to fix. As it's a visual issue it probably won't be done in the near future but we will look to solve it soon.

To answer your question " One other thing, on the back of the box there is a panel labelled Monitor Internet Utilization & Game Ping and the traffic is shown by category. Where is that panel? I can't find anything that categorises traffic."

This is the Network Monitor. If you go to the screen, on the Network Snapshot, you will see the devices using the most bandwidth. Click on any bar to open up the category breakdown which uses our Deep Packet Inspection engine. You can then click on any segment to see the applications being used. Promo video here shows this off: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A828T-j7Fks

As for the Device Manager name cut off - we've had some regular feedback on this and our plan is to offer an option to switch to a table/list view so power users with many devices can manage this more easily.

Message 2 of 7
psykixx
Star

I've figured out the offline devices thing. Any wireless devices connected to the EX8000 are showing as Offline, which is obviously not correct.

Thanks for the answer re: category, it was not obvious!

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 3 of 7
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Thanks for the info, we're looking into it!
Message 4 of 7
Grumbleguts
Aspirant

I'd like to second a fix for the network map.  On top of that, I see devices moving to offline and then back online again.  Granted, I understand why this is happening, however visually, it's difficult to manage.  The hub and spoke method to view this is fine, however you might think of tiering it so that your hubs contract down to a single device and only expand when clicked on to show the spokes.  I have over 75 devices on my network and it gets very difficult to manage this view.

There is also no relationship between the names in the device manager list and the DHCP reservations.  I feel there should be continuity there.  Essentially, pick a system of record and stick to it.

Message 5 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

I as well as others are seeing this with the device manage/network map and the use of extenders with the XR routers:

http://forum.netduma.com/topic/26140-xr500-netgear-x6s-mesh-network/

Hope NG and Duma and work to get this working better.

Message 6 of 7
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Great suggestions all round, and very much in line with our thinking. We're working on new ways of making the Network Map easier to use with many devices, and hopefully this will be a feature you can all enjoy soon!

The reason why DHCP doesn't currently match is because that feature is a part of the Netgear suite, whereas we developed the Device Manager and other key features. One of these updates I'm sure this will be resolved - thank you for letting us know what you'd like to see!

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7