× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Network Monitor Not accurate

JonSnowKnowsNad
Apprentice

Network Monitor Not accurate

Network Monitor is not showing how much internet each device is using accurately. I would do a speed test or watch a 4k video on my pc and it says my pc is using 0.002 download which has to be wrong. However, when I stream at a 4500 bitrate it shows correctly that im using 4.5 mbps upload. Im on the latest firmware.

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 33
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

This is definately a bug. Could I ask what kind of internet connection settings you're using? PPPoE? Static? This might have some bearing on wether the bug occurs.

Message 2 of 33
JonSnowKnowsNad
Apprentice

where do i find that out

Message 3 of 33
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You can find that in Settings > Internet Setup. When you look at the Network Monitor is it just before you start the video? It could be that when you're looking at it, it has buffered some of the video.
Message 4 of 33
JonSnowKnowsNad
Apprentice

where it says internet IP address it says get dynamically from ISP. as for your question i would have two tabs opened up and side by side. one for watching the video in 4k and one for routerlogin.com to see my network monitor.

Message 5 of 33
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

So it doesn't say the connection requires a login? What is your exact physical setup? Are ALL devices connected to the router? How is the PC connected to the router?
Message 6 of 33
JonSnowKnowsNad
Apprentice

the connection does require a login. i have my xr500 connected to my modem from my isp by ethernet and all devices like my pc are connected to the xr500. my pc is connected by ethernet also, but other devices are connected by wifi

Message 7 of 33
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay so you're using PPPoE. Is the ISP modem/router a modem only or is it a router (has wifi)? Would it be possible to have this use PPPoE instead (if not a modem) so that you could try without PPPoE on the XR500? If not do you have another router you could potentially put between them to handle PPPoE instead?
Message 8 of 33
JonSnowKnowsNad
Apprentice

its a modem that has wifi.

Message 9 of 33
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay so do you have it in modem mode currently? If so take it out of that mode, then copy the WAN IP from the XR system information page and put that into the DMZ of your modem/router DMZ and see if the network monitor reports correctly after that please. You'll have to disable the PPPoE login on the XR router as well in Internet Setup.
Message 10 of 33
JonSnowKnowsNad
Apprentice

how do i check if it is in modem mode currently?

Message 11 of 33
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You'll need to check its' interface. If you're unsure how to do this it should have a sticker somewhere on it that gives you the details.
Message 12 of 33
JonSnowKnowsNad
Apprentice

is this the only way for it to maybe work. will there be a firmware update perhaps? i dont feel like doing this.thanks though

Message 13 of 33
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If PPPoE is the cause then yes but it's absolutely fine doing it that way, you won't have a performance decrease. There will be an update but I couldn't say when unfortunately.
Message 14 of 33
JonSnowKnowsNad
Apprentice

did u guys do an update the dumaos looks different and i like the new look. its also updating my network monitor just fine. i would watch a 6000 bitrate stream and it shows that im using 6 download. and when i stop watching the stream the number changes. so i think its fixed bro.

Message 15 of 33
JonSnowKnowsNad
Apprentice

*correction* it still isnt perfect but it seems improved. the monitor doesnt accurately show e.g. when im watching a utube video in 4k the download is really low like <0.2 mbps or something. but when im downloading like a update for cod on ps4 it shows a really high number like >100 mbps

Message 16 of 33
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

There hasn't been an update, perhaps a cloud update but I would have thought it'd be unlikely to affect you. The Network Monitor is still probably to do with PPPoE but may be that your PC isn't sharing the bandwidth its using properly.
Message 17 of 33
JonSnowKnowsNad
Apprentice

the network monitor has been fixed 100% im not sure if this is something you guys did on your end. if not , then it might've had something to do with my internet connection because i unplugged my isp modem and checked after and it works. my isp says my neighbourhood has a internet wiring problem where my internet goes in/out or my speeds get really slow. im not sure.

Message 18 of 33
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

We haven't done anything on our side as far as I'm aware, that's great though, sometimes weird issues occur and go away without any sense of why. Hopefully when the ISP fixes the wiring that will see your connection get better too.
Message 19 of 33
JonSnowKnowsNad
Apprentice

so i was looking back at this and you said my setup is PPPoE because i told you my internet connection requires a login. id like to correct that information as it was it was false my internet connection does not require a login. so would that might change anything in terms of what the problem might be. my network monitor is still having the same issues unfortunately.

Message 20 of 33
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay that's interesting. Have you put the hub in modem mode at all? It might be that the router is not receiving all the packets correctly and so displays the information incorrectly.
Message 21 of 33
JonSnowKnowsNad
Apprentice

i bridged the modem and the xr500

Message 22 of 33
JonSnowKnowsNad
Apprentice

could it be my settings? on the dumaOS

Message 23 of 33
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Bridge mode is good so unlikely to be that. I wouldn't have thought so but have you done any changes to settings such as port forwarding etc or using the Hybrid VPN?
Message 24 of 33
JonSnowKnowsNad
Apprentice

i've definitely played with the settings. im not sure what setting i changed that may have caused this.

Message 25 of 33
Discussion stats
  • 32 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7