× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New ISP with XR500, Xbox Double NAT Strict.

Xboxlivegamer
Aspirant

New ISP with XR500, Xbox Double NAT Strict.

Hi,

Today I changed ISPs and I have NAT Type: Strict, Double NAT Detected on my xbox one x, I have NAT filtering set to Open and Disable SIP ALG and Disable IGMP Proxying checked.

Any suggestions on what I can do to change this?

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 19
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Hello, the likely cause of this is that your ISP hub is in router mode. What I would suggest is putting the hub in modem mode or if that is not possible putting the XR500 in its DMZ and disabling the hubs WiFi. Then you should not get a double NAT.
Message 2 of 19
Xboxlivegamer
Aspirant

I don't think I can access my ISP's hub, only my router. Should I call my ISP and ask them if can change that?

Message 3 of 19
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What's your physical setup exactly?
Message 4 of 19
Xboxlivegamer
Aspirant

It's Wireless High-Speed Internet, a cable runs from outside to an PoE Adaptor, the LAN cord from that goes straight into my XR500 router and a ethernet wire from port 1 goes into my xbox.

Message 5 of 19
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Put the console in the DMZ of the XR500 and remove any port forwards you may have done for it. If you don't get an open NAT in console network settings then may be some weird restrictions on ISP side as shouldn't have a double NAT with that setup.
Message 6 of 19
Xboxlivegamer
Aspirant

I reserved an IP address for my xbox and entered that into Default DMZ Server, nothing changed.

Any more suggestions? Should I talk to my ISP and ask them if the hub is set to router and not modem mode?

Message 7 of 19
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It doesn't sound like you have a hub but yes Id suggest that and we can go from there
Message 8 of 19
XRaptor29
Luminary

Have you rebooted the Xbox since getting new ISP? If so reboot it. It should go away hopefully.
Message 9 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

What version of FW are you using on the XR500?

Press the Power button on the xbox until it shuts off. This will clear out any networking caches. Then power ON and check NAT status.

If you only have one xbox then set NAT FIlter to secure. Open is only needed for two or more game consoles.

@Xboxlivegamer wrote:

Hi,

Today I changed ISPs and I have NAT Type: Strict, Double NAT Detected on my xbox one x, I have NAT filtering set to Open and Disable SIP ALG and Disable IGMP Proxying checked.

Any suggestions on what I can do to change this?

Message 10 of 19
XRaptor29
Luminary

I have two Xbox ones with open Nat and Nat is set to secure. From what my understanding is if you play CoD then you have to have Nat set to open. It's the only game that needs it.
Message 11 of 19
Xboxlivegamer
Aspirant

Firmware Version 2.2.1.10

I've noticed when I first log into my router it says Script Error and also when I use firmware update assistant it says my current GUI language version is V1.0.0325 and the new one is 1.0.0.327, I tried updating it but it doesn't change to the new version.

Power cycling my Xbox One X and restarting my router was what I tried first, I have 2 Xbox Ones wire connected to my router.

I called my ISP and the tech said the company was moving servers around so he couldn't edit any settings til tomorrow, so if nothing changes around then I should call back. What he was going to try, he said works 99% of the time so I'll have more information to relay tomorrow.

Thanks for the assistance from everyone.

Message 12 of 19
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What page do you see script error on?

For the language change language then change back to English and that will update it.

Okay let us know what they say, sounds positive!
Message 13 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

At some point, try setting NAT Filter to OPEN and reboot the router, Power OFF both xboxes then power back on the 1st box after the router reboots. Check NAT. Then power ON the 2nd xbox, Check NAT.

@Xboxlivegamer wrote:

Firmware Version 2.2.1.10

I've noticed when I first log into my router it says Script Error and also when I use firmware update assistant it says my current GUI language version is V1.0.0325 and the new one is 1.0.0.327, I tried updating it but it doesn't change to the new version.

Power cycling my Xbox One X and restarting my router was what I tried first, I have 2 Xbox Ones wire connected to my router.

I called my ISP and the tech said the company was moving servers around so he couldn't edit any settings til tomorrow, so if nothing changes around then I should call back. What he was going to try, he said works 99% of the time so I'll have more information to relay tomorrow.

Thanks for the assistance from everyone.

Message 14 of 19
wub901
Guide

as th

I fixed my the nat issue with the xbox by putting all the xbox ports into port triggering and left the specific i[ blank so it covers both the xbox,s

you may have to add some ports twice as they cover both UDP and TCP.

These ports must be open for Xbox Live to work:
  • Port 88 (UDP)
  • Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)
  • Port 53 (UDP and TCP)
  • Port 80 (TCP)
  • Port 500 (UDP)
  • Port 3544 (UDP)
  • Port 4500 (UDP)

Message 15 of 19
wub901
Guide

the gui issue can be fixed by switching the language to another then back to english once it has updated.

Message 16 of 19
wub901
Guide

This is my port triggering setup not sure if I set it up correctly but I get open ports on both the xbox,s  the ps4 i put in the DMZ

MY SETUPMY SETUP

Message 17 of 19
Xboxlivegamer
Aspirant

Sorry for taking a long time to reply.

I no longer have double NAT, however it says "UPnP is not successful" on my xbox one x, UPnP is set to on in my router's settings.

My NAT is Moderate.

I also tried your port triggering settings and there was no change.

Message 18 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model # of the ISP modem? Built in router here by chance? If so...

Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios and firwall and uPnP on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the XR router gets from the modem.

Then:

You only need uPnP enabled on the XR router. Don't use any Port triggers or the DMZ on the XR router, just set up IP address reservations for each console. Set NAT Filter to OPEN for two or more consoles on the same router.

I would probably do a factory reset and set up the XR router again from scratch.

Also do this on each console to clear out any caches:

Press the power button on the front of the console until it turns off. Once you have the router set up again, turn the 1st console back on and check NAT status on the dashboard, then in a game. Should be OPEN here. Turn on the next console and so same. Should be OPEN here too if you have configured the router right.

@Xboxlivegamer wrote:

Sorry for taking a long time to reply.

I no longer have double NAT, however it says "UPnP is not successful" on my xbox one x, UPnP is set to on in my router's settings.

My NAT is Moderate.

I also tried your port triggering settings and there was no change.

Message 19 of 19
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7