× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New XR500 Nighthawk - Keeps dropping my connection while gaming on PS4

1001puppys
Aspirant

New XR500 Nighthawk - Keeps dropping my connection while gaming on PS4

Hello everyone,

I just purchased an XR500 Nighthawk on Thursday because my old router finally crapped out. Ever since I've set it up, my connection gets temporarily dropped about once an hour. This kicks me out of whatever I'm playing online on PS4, but the connection drop is so quick that I don't get disconnected from the Playstation Network or even the party I'm chatting in. This has happened in Destiny 2 and Nioh. There's no lag spike, just me getting kicked from the game but still staying connected to the online services. For reference, I am connected with a LAN cable...I tried wireless, but then it happened much more frequently.

Has anyone experienced similar issues? Maybe there's a setting I haven't properly set up in the router config? Maybe my QoS isn't working properly? I'm not 100% tech savvy so I don't know what to troubleshoot, I just know I never had an issue like this with my old router.

Message 1 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Interesting, do other devices experience this momentary lapse in internet or just the PS4 as far as you can tell? If you set the Geo-Filter to Spectating Mode does that resolve it?
Message 2 of 9
1001puppys
Aspirant

I have not noticed my laptop disconnect, I was streaming Twitch and Fox Sports Go all of yesterday and didn't notice a buffering or anything. It could have happened, but it wasn't something I had to reset.

My geo-filter includes the entire world: I didn't set it to limit myself to U.S. or anything, I can try switching it to spectator mode.

Message 3 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Do you have an alternative ethernet cable you could try as well?
Message 4 of 9
1001puppys
Aspirant

I only have one 100ft cable as of right now, since the modem is so far away. That cord is pretty old so it could be causing issues, however I never had a single drop with the old router.

I've had the same thing happen four times today, once in Destiny 2 and three times in Fortnite. It kicks me out of the party due to a network error, but keeps me in the game. I also got kicked out of Dark Souls Network Test because you get kicked to the main menu if a connection changes. Extremely annoyed right now.

I'm going to try a factory reset, and then not download the firmwear, a couple of other posts for similar routers have mentioned that issue. What a pile of crap for $300.

Message 5 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I meant a cable for the PS4 to the XR500 as thats the only device having an issue.

If you're on the latest firmware it will stay on it after a factory reset. It sounds like more of a PSN issue if it's present over different games, the Geo-Filter isn't enabled and no other device has the issue.
Message 6 of 9
Dbo11
Aspirant

I’m having the same problem, when my PS4 is plugged into my modem it works fine
Message 7 of 9
Dbo11
Aspirant

And I can’t post my proof of purchase for warranty
Message 8 of 9
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

What version are you in Dbo? If you click the 'i' icon at the top it will show you. If it does not end in .32, please could you upgrade to that version:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/XR500.aspx#download

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7