× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New router / Modem

Wxyz1234
Aspirant

New router / Modem

I was thinking about buy Xr300 but I had a few questions . I’m not too tech savvy about things. If I buy this router do I need a modem for it to work . And if I do need a modem , Is there any way I can set up the modem without using a computer . My computer is on the other side of my house . Thanks
Model: XR300|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: New router / Modem

most routers need some type of gateway. Maybe its a modem, maybe its an ont from their provider. We can't tell you what you'd need exactly. Whoever is your isp will need to discuss with you what type of gateway you need and how to activate it. 

Message 2 of 5
Wxyz1234
Aspirant

If it is a modem I need , do I need a computer to set up a modem ?
Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

Again, contact your isp.

some isp's will activate it when they install, some do self activation, some don't require modems, some you can activate the modem over the phone, or some make you use a modem/router combo. You'll first need to call your isp to figure out what they need. 

Message 4 of 5
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If you do not have internet at all already then it will be dependent on the ISP you go with/what model of modem/router they give you. In regards to the XR300 you will need an existing internet connection with either an ONT/modem/router to connect the XR300 to. You can then connect to the XR300 via WiFi with your PC to set it up.
Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7