× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Ngithhack XR500 NAT Loopback setup?

Night__XR500
Tutor

Ngithhack XR500 NAT Loopback setup?

Hi All,

I have a Nighthawk XR500 running a home server with email.

It is pretty annoying that I cannot access services using the WAN IP address - e.g. webmail and IMAP.

As far as I can detect the issue is the NAT Loopback problem which according to this should be supported on my router

https://kb.netgear.com/000049578/Which-NETGEAR-routers-support-NAT-loopback

However neither the user interface, documentation or net searches seems to point towards how it is setup?

Anyone that can help?

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
Night__XR500
Tutor

Re: Nighthack XR500 NAT Loopback setup?

Hi all,

I finally gave up. Changed broadband provider and got a Zyxel router. Whatever the cause, it solved the problem without changing anything in my network setup.

Best regards

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 9

All Replies
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

This would be a Netgear feature but I'll do my best to help - are you using the WAN IP shown on the System Information page i.e. the IP assigned to the XR500 from the modem it's connected to or the public IP? There is also a remote management option you can enable in settings, enable that and see if it works
Message 2 of 9
Night__XR500
Tutor

Naturally I am using the WAN IP. Not sure what external IP you would alternatively consider?

No. The remote management is not activated - for security reasons. What difference should that make?

Message 3 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The only two IPs you could try would be the IP assigned to the XR or your public IP so I was just checking. As that option allows you to access the interface from the WAN side and is the only option on the router that relates to accessing from the WAN it may help the functionality you want to work - whether it should or not is another matter but we're troubleshooting so it's worth a try, even if you disable it afterwards. What is the modem/router the XR is connected to?
Message 4 of 9
Night__XR500
Tutor

Hmm .. I think we are talking about different issues.

The problem is that I cannot access the webservices running on my own server on the intranet with the same URL as externals can - the router seems to be unable to serve an open net (external IP) call to my own server (within the 192.168.x.x) if it comes from the intranet (within the 192.168.x.x address space) the same way as if the call originate on the open net.

If I take the exact same laptop and connect to the net from outside the intranet (e.g. through a mobile phone wifi hotspot instead of the wifi the service is connected to), I get a different result. Then it works fine.

I cannot find anything on the nat loopback settings

Message 5 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The only thing I can think of that would possible help in this situation would be to look at the WAN Settings on the router, e.g. set NAT to Open/disabling the protection options there. Other than that there aren't any more settings for NAT or NAT loopback
Message 6 of 9
Night__XR500
Tutor

Hi all,

I finally gave up. Changed broadband provider and got a Zyxel router. Whatever the cause, it solved the problem without changing anything in my network setup.

Best regards

Message 7 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Thanks for the update, glad you were able to get it all sorted out
Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7