× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Night Hawk R8000p poor speed

Astromechal21
Aspirant

Night Hawk R8000p poor speed

My download speeds are terrible compared to Speedtest results and through put test results.
My PC is a 2018 dell XPS 13-9370. Ethernet is connected through thunderbolt port. Wireless card is killer wireless ac 1435. It was the only device connected while troubleshooting everything below.
Link to laptop specs
https://www.costco.com/Dell-XPS-13-Touchscreen-Laptop---Intel-Core-i7---4K-Ultra-HD.product.10046489...
I have 250 Mbps internet and I have verified I get 250 Mbps from my ISP. When I connect to the R8000p with CAT6 I average around 242 Mbps from speedtest.net. I also average about 240 Mbps using iperf through put tests. So everything seems okay 240 Mbps is 30 MBps which is great, but when I download an actual file the download speed is about 500 KBps which is 0.5 MBps. So it is 60 times slower than the speed test results. To verify I have tried different file download sizes and types from different locations and the speeds were the same. I tried ~140 MB general software like VirtualBox , 1 GB iPhone ipsw file, and 4 GB OS image file.
I have researched everything I can about similar issues the common recommendations were to turn off traffic meter and QoS and to do a factory reset. I tried it all and no change. Others said to update firmware, still nothing. Some said go back a few firmware versions still nothing. I tried 4 older firmware versions back to the very first. I am now at a loss. Everything IS working I just can’t get any speed out of it. I know I can’t get the full speed but 60 times slower is crazy. I would be completely happy with 20MBps (160 Mbps) but to see the download speed in KB is really frustrating. Any help or advice would be much appreciated. I have some technical experience but not really in this area so simple explanations would be great.
Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: Night Hawk R8000p poor speed

So your hardwired speeds are fine but you're wireless isn't? Is the wireless fine if you speedtest over wireless? You put your usage speeds which isn't a reliable tester as those speeds are based upon whoever is serving those files and not reliable.  Thats why for actual speedtesting you need to use speedtest.net   or speedtest.xfinity.com  or speedtest.googlefiber.net   Something that has the bandwidth to fully saturate your stream. 

You list the laptop you use and the wireless card. What driver are you using the the killer 1435?  There's been quite a few updates to the drivers.

Is it the same for all devices or just this one device?

Are you using smart connect with the R8000p? Try turning it off and manually selecting the band to connect to. Maybe the band steering is putting you on the 2.4ghz which is lower bandwidth (should still be faster than whats listed).

Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Please post about this here for your model router:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/bd-p/home-wifi-routers-nighthawk

Good Luck. 

@Astromechal21 wrote:
My download speeds are terrible compared to Speedtest results and through put test results.
My PC is a 2018 dell XPS 13-9370. Ethernet is connected through thunderbolt port. Wireless card is killer wireless ac 1435. It was the only device connected while troubleshooting everything below.
Link to laptop specs
https://www.costco.com/Dell-XPS-13-Touchscreen-Laptop---Intel-Core-i7---4K-Ultra-HD.product.10046489...
I have 250 Mbps internet and I have verified I get 250 Mbps from my ISP. When I connect to the R8000p with CAT6 I average around 242 Mbps from speedtest.net. I also average about 240 Mbps using iperf through put tests. So everything seems okay 240 Mbps is 30 MBps which is great, but when I download an actual file the download speed is about 500 KBps which is 0.5 MBps. So it is 60 times slower than the speed test results. To verify I have tried different file download sizes and types from different locations and the speeds were the same. I tried ~140 MB general software like VirtualBox , 1 GB iPhone ipsw file, and 4 GB OS image file.
I have researched everything I can about similar issues the common recommendations were to turn off traffic meter and QoS and to do a factory reset. I tried it all and no change. Others said to update firmware, still nothing. Some said go back a few firmware versions still nothing. I tried 4 older firmware versions back to the very first. I am now at a loss. Everything IS working I just can’t get any speed out of it. I know I can’t get the full speed but 60 times slower is crazy. I would be completely happy with 20MBps (160 Mbps) but to see the download speed in KB is really frustrating. Any help or advice would be much appreciated. I have some technical experience but not really in this area so simple explanations would be great.

Message 3 of 5
Astromechal21
Aspirant

Actually everything I have done has been hard wired. Smart connect has never been enabled. I have had issues with that on an older router. I’m not sure the exact firmware for the killer 1435 but I run dell support assist once a week and it finds and updates the killer card so it should be the latest firmware.
I understand the usage speeds are not a reliable test. What I was trying to indicate was that regardless of the download size or source I am always at around 500 kBps. So the Apple iPhone file I downloaded came from Apple. Since Apple is a prominent company I would assume they would be able to provide the file at reasonable speeds yet I am stuck at 500 kBps.
Is there a place to download large files with a known fast server speed so I can check that? Speedtest.net gives me 242 Mbps which is what it should be but things slow way down with actual files. I doubt that everything I download comes from a slow server.
Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Please post about this here for your model router:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/bd-p/home-wifi-routers-nighthawk

Good Luck. 

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7