× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk AX5400 Random Factory Resets

SpencerSda
Aspirant

Nighthawk AX5400 Random Factory Resets

I have had this router for about 5-6 months; however, this is now the 4th time i have to fix my router.

for some reason the router after i try to login into it fails, this is very rare but when it fails, its factory resets my router.

Why is it resetting my router to factory default, I can't have this as i have a private server running at home for work with confidential information, it resets everything including my internet no longer has passwords or custom names.

i also have to reconfigure my server every single time this happens.

How can i fix this? so my router will function like it suppose to?

SpencerSda_0-1683906101994.png

This is the error i get when i try to access my router after this, i have to go to the back of my router manually and hold the button in to reset then set everything up again.

which i have previously and it took me 30-40 minutes to setup again, since i have to reconnect everything in my house.

but in the meantime, i have turned my server off, to see if yall know what i need to do to fix this.

Thanks 

Spencer

Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Nighthawk AX5400 Random Factory Resets

What model NG router do you have? RAX###?

Message 2 of 12
SpencerSda
Aspirant

i have the XR-1000

i hope this is what you are asking for. 🙂

Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

What web browser do you use? I use MS Edge with mine. BE sure to clear out all browser caches before entering the routers web page. 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch with a wired PC and web browser. Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200.
https://kb.netgear.com/24089/How-do-I-specify-the-pool-of-IP-addresses-assigned-by-my-Nighthawk-rout...

If you have a v1 XR1000, you might update FW: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Routers/New-XR1000-Firmware-Version-1-0-0-68-R...

Message 4 of 12
SpencerSda
Aspirant

Sadly, i can't access anything from the router, after the reset i have to reset it again, to get access to the router,

I have charter internet. 350mbs and 15mbs upload

cable is cat 6

couldn't tell you the last time i did a firmware update, 

and my Ip from the router isn't a 192.168.1.1 is ###.133.4 not going to put it all in since that will give my exact location

I have set the Router up last 3 times by the phone app; the computer setup doesn't work properly. or i don't know how to set it up that way.

Message 5 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll need a ethernet connected PC to set up the router properly and probably get the fw updated. After you press the reset button, connect a ethernet connected PC or laptop to the back of the router and use MS Edge or Firefox and navigate to 192.168.1.1. This will being the setup wizard process. 

192.168.1.1 is the routers IP address and web page access address. The 75.x address is the WAN IP address the router gets from the ISP modem? What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too? This won't give location. 

Message 6 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It may be that it's not receiving enough power, could you try direct to a wall outlet/different outlet and if that doesn't work do you have another power adapter with a similar voltage you can try with?
Message 7 of 12
SpencerSda
Aspirant

Sadly, i can't move the cord, i ran it through the wall, down to an 8-plug power strip, the system is set up in a cabinet with a full air circulation system, so it doesn't hold any heat in the cabinet. the fans are plugged into the router though, could that be the cause, my last router didn't have an issue, but I'm willing to try anything.

I can plug the router into a different power strip will that work.

Message 8 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Please do unplug the fans, perhaps they're pulling too much power. If you're able to plug it into a power strip where no other devices are plugged into or fewer devices are plugged in that would be great.
Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a different power strip or wall jack directly with the router. 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

You'll need a ethernet connected PC to set up the router properly and probably get the fw updated. After you press the reset button, connect a ethernet connected PC or laptop to the back of the router and use MS Edge or Firefox and navigate to 192.168.1.1. This will being the setup wizard process. 

192.168.1.1 is the routers IP address and web page access address. The 75.x address is the WAN IP address the router gets from the ISP modem? What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too? This won't give location. 

Message 10 of 12
SpencerSda
Aspirant

TBH i don't really know what you're asking, would that be on the back of my charter modem?

if so i can send you a picture, i just know a little about the router.

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, there should be a sticker some where giving the brand and model#.

Message 12 of 12
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7