× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk Pro Gaming XR500: Unable to access DMZ host with public DNS/IP from devices in LAN

hailong
Tutor

Nighthawk Pro Gaming XR500: Unable to access DMZ host with public DNS/IP from devices in LAN

I used to have a server in the LAN which was set as the DMZ host and can be accessed with a public DNS/IP address. The server is running as a private cloud service, so that the pictures or vidoes on my phone can be uploaded automaticlly and also be shared easily.

While after I changed the router to XR500, my phone can't connect to the server with its public DNS in the LAN. This is important to me, since the auto backup should always run in a wifi environment.

Idealy I need to edit some kind of local DNS entries on the router, to add my public DNS as well as the internal IP in pair. While I can't find any place to do it so far. Could somebody shed some light on this? Or maybe I need to open a feature request to Netgear?

Message 1 of 5
hailong
Tutor

Re: Nighthawk Pro Gaming XR500: Unable to access DMZ host with public DNS/IP from devices in LAN

Well, I've just found a list of Netgear routers that support "NAT loopback", unfortunately XR4500 is NOT one of them. I don't think this is a advanced feature since even my ISP provided router can support it. Very disappointed!

https://kb.netgear.com/000049578/NETGEAR-Router-support-for-NAT-Loopback

Message 2 of 5
hailong
Tutor

Alright, I just decided to spend a little bit more money to buy another one, NETGEAR Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri-Band WiFi Gigabit Router (R8000P-100CNS), which is in the NAT loopback supporting list. Will return the current XR500.

Message 3 of 5
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The focus of the XR range is gaming so features like this where they don't have an immediate gaming effect were not included. That's not to say they won't be implemented but that's the reason they're not currently included. Sorry to hear you're returning the router, we hope you'll consider it again in future.
Message 4 of 5
hailong
Tutor

Just a quick update here. I got NETGEAR Nighthawk X6S AC4000 with even a lower price since it was on sale. The game streaming is working as perfectly as XR500, and the NAT loopback works too. It meets all my expectation now!

A new issue I noticed with with X6S AC4000 is that the internet upload speed turns down to 1/3 of the bandwith my ISP supports, which was not a problem with XR500. I can't find a setting regarding this from the management UI, has opened another thread discussing the problem.

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7