× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk R7000 not getting proper speeds

Subrad5446
Aspirant

Nighthawk R7000 not getting proper speeds

I recently moved, and I noticed that the ethernet light that my computer was connected to was amber. Looked it up, this means I'm only getting a megabit connection. Hmm, weird, I just upgraded to 400 when I moved. A day of troubleshooting brings me to the tower in my yard-the line was faulty going to the box on the side of my house. So they fixed that, and I'm still having the problem. Amber light on the port where my computer is connected. I'm also only getting 160 down over 5g, while standing right next the router. My NIC card is a Realtek PCIe GBE Network interface card. I've tried multiple different cables, either cat5 or cat5e, all give different results, but none anywhere near what they should. At first I was thinking that it was an issue with the modem, but isp came out and said it works fine, plus both wired and wifi connections are slow. Any help would be great! Thanks.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk R7000 not getting proper speeds

So if you're able to pull 160 mbps, the problem isn't between the modem and the router (for the most part with the blinking orange lan light). If your wan connection was limited to 10/100, you'd only pull 100 over wireless. 

here's the things we'd like:

1. Firmware on your R7000? Modem model and firmware?

2. Since you switched to a new provider speed and moved. Have you tried doing a full reset on the router to see if this will fix the problem? 

3. If you hook your computer directly to the modem, what speeds do you get?

Message 2 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Please post about this in this forum for your model router:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/bd-p/home-wifi-routers-nighthawk

Thank you. 

Message 3 of 4
Subrad5446
Aspirant

I apologize, the isp guy told me that I should be getting 350 or so over 5g when standing next to the router,

Here's my firmware version: V1.0.9.64_10.2.64

My modem has a sticker on the bottome, the only thing close to a model # is an mo #. It is 2151009986-03L1. I also see a random few digits by themselves that loook like they could be a model number, they are E31U2V1. It's owned by specturm. I don't know how to go about obtaining the firmware version of my modem.

I don't know if this matters, but I didn't switch providers. I just moved around the block and upgraded. Should I still do a full reset on the router?

When I plug the computer direct to modem, the most I can get is 126 down, no matter what cable i use.

Buddy asked me to post this in a different forum, so I did. I answered you here, but this is the link to the new post.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Netgear-Nighthawk-R7000-not-getting-speeds/m...

Thanks for your help man!

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7