× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk R8000 intermittent issues

Disconnectedx2
Aspirant

Nighthawk R8000 intermittent issues

Long story short - thought my ISP was having issues. Called ISP and modem showing no issues. I believe we're having packet loss every hour. Get kicked offline constantly. Recent activity I've done is resetting the router to Factory Default. Still lagging every hour. Reboot all devices and startup from Modem, Router, Switch and then Computers and then fine for an hour or two and then get booted again.

A while back I had someone on the line explain to me that after making sure the firmware is up to date or rolled back, whichever is better... I should play around with the channels since neighbors might be on the same channel. 

How long are these routers supposedly suppose to last and anybody have any recommendations since my latency spikes up and get booted from the network?

Have 2.4 Ghz, 5 Ghz and 5 Ghz 2 - was told 2GIG is fine and works through walls better than 5. 5 is higher but doesn't penetrate walls very well.

Setup is cable to modem - modem to Nighthawk - Nighthawk to WiFi Mesh extender upstairs to a Linksys switch. You would think it was just upstairs that has dropped packets and network loss, but when we go down, my kids go down as well which are downstairs. Once a day is not a big deal but hourly?

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk R8000 intermittent issues

@Disconnectedx2 wrote:

Latest firmware downloaded, not sure of the numbers----the numbers help, the firmware on the R8000 has had issues so it helps to know what one you're on. maybe a downgrade is needed. Maybe a simple reset is needed. Its hard to know without details. 

Modem is Arris.. which one?   tech said I could change it out for their latest one but not seeing connection loss on their side ---wouldn't be the first tech who's said that and not been accurate, the actual connections page helps more than believing another tech. sometimes the techs are correct, sometimes not. This is why we ask for the info

yes - all devices. wired and wireless. 

Yes hooked up modem straight to one desktop and did not drop

Mesh extender is Netgear - not at home at the moment or I could get the model - $98 at walmart. -----again, not helpful. 

paying for 200 Mbps through Charter Spectrum and testing downstairs in same room on 5G is 223 Mbps, computers on mesh upstairs are showing 80-90 Mbps. Thinking about running Cat 6.----that'd be ideal. the very nature of an extender slows the speed and increases latency because that have to recieve and retransmit. Plus if they're connection isn't that great, it slows stuff as well. 

Main question is whether I should just play with these channels on the router or buy another router because apparently this NightHawk isn't the best quality that you pay for----there's always more expensive stuff/better. But that isn't always the answer. I'd work first on optimizing and getting a single device working well first. I'd actually remove your extender and focus on getting the router working well first. Then add the extender back in and optimize that. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

We do need to start with a few questions.

1. What firmware is on the devices?

2. Do you have a screen snip of your modem connections page? techs have said connections are fine when they really aren't. As well as what modem is it?

3. is the issue happening on all devices, wired/wireless or just certain ones?

4. Have you tried just going modem----router temporarily and seeing if the issue persists?

5. what linksys mesh extender is it?

Message 2 of 4
Disconnectedx2
Aspirant

Latest firmware downloaded, not sure of the numbers

Modem is Arris... tech said I could change it out for their latest one but not seeing connection loss on their side 

Mesh extender is Netgear - not at home at the moment or I could get the model - $98 at walmart. 

paying for 200 Mbps through Charter Spectrum and testing downstairs in same room on 5G is 223 Mbps, computers on mesh upstairs are showing 80-90 Mbps. Thinking about running Cat 6.

Main question is whether I should just play with these channels on the router or buy another router because apparently this NightHawk isn't the best quality that you pay for

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

@Disconnectedx2 wrote:

Latest firmware downloaded, not sure of the numbers----the numbers help, the firmware on the R8000 has had issues so it helps to know what one you're on. maybe a downgrade is needed. Maybe a simple reset is needed. Its hard to know without details. 

Modem is Arris.. which one?   tech said I could change it out for their latest one but not seeing connection loss on their side ---wouldn't be the first tech who's said that and not been accurate, the actual connections page helps more than believing another tech. sometimes the techs are correct, sometimes not. This is why we ask for the info

Mesh extender is Netgear - not at home at the moment or I could get the model - $98 at walmart. -----again, not helpful. 

paying for 200 Mbps through Charter Spectrum and testing downstairs in same room on 5G is 223 Mbps, computers on mesh upstairs are showing 80-90 Mbps. Thinking about running Cat 6.----that'd be ideal. the very nature of an extender slows the speed and increases latency because that have to recieve and retransmit. Plus if they're connection isn't that great, it slows stuff as well. 

Main question is whether I should just play with these channels on the router or buy another router because apparently this NightHawk isn't the best quality that you pay for----there's always more expensive stuff/better. But that isn't always the answer. I'd work first on optimizing and getting a single device working well first. I'd actually remove your extender and focus on getting the router working well first. Then add the extender back in and optimize that. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7