× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk R9000 Ap Mode

Smash_oli
Aspirant

Nighthawk R9000 Ap Mode

Hi,

Nighthawk R9000 in AP Mode, how does it deal with physically connected devices?

If you connect a device to the AP will it just hand all traffic back to the router to then send back to the AP to emit over wireless?

Basically I want to know if I was to use the link aggregation on the nighthawk to connect a nas will this actually help in AP mode? So if you were browsing something on your phone from the nas will the traffic be going from the nas to ap, back to the router then routed back to the AP then over to your phone, or will it just go nas - Ap - phone?

Best Regards

Oli
Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
schumaku
Guru

Hi Oil,

Up font, no idea if the LAN port aggregation mode is available and working in AP mode.

On the newer routers all Ethernet ports can be used as these are switched ports. The aggregation is implemented on the R9000 host CPU, the two ports are made available direct to the core where Linux bonding driver is handling the aggregation and then the traffic is bridged to the hardware switch again - the same way on how the wireless radios talk to the network. This is all pure L2, no L3 routing involved - so the traffic does certainly not loop over the router.

Regards,

-Kurt

Message 2 of 5
Smash_oli
Aspirant

Cheers Kurt,

I'm hopefull this will work then as I know like you say the ethernet ports do work when in AP mode and in the advanced settings anything not available is greyed out when in AP mode, link aggregation is not greyed out, so with your explanation of it still utilising l2 not l3 routing I reakon I'm good to go.

Will try it out.

Best Regards

Oli
Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Please post about this here for your model router:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/bd-p/home-wifi-routers-nighthawk
You might try Voxels 3rd party FW as well.
Good Luck.

@Smash_oli wrote:
Cheers Kurt,

I'm hopefull this will work then as I know like you say the ethernet ports do work when in AP mode and in the advanced settings anything not available is greyed out when in AP mode, link aggregation is not greyed out, so with your explanation of it still utilising l2 not l3 routing I reakon I'm good to go.

Will try it out.

Best Regards

Oli

Message 4 of 5
Nesteaboy
Aspirant

Oli,

Did you try to do Link Aggregation under AP mode?  Did it work?

@Smash_oli wrote:
Cheers Kurt,

Will try it out.

Best Regards

Oli

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7