× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk RX500 Wireless vs. Wired Connection

Jack_H_22
Follower

Nighthawk RX500 Wireless vs. Wired Connection

Hello, I was wondering if anyone with a Nighthawk RX500 Pro gaming router could tell me how much of a difference there is between gaming on console or PC when running a wired or wireless connection. Im thinking about buying one but I Dont exactly have easy accsess to wired connection in my set up. The best I could do is take my netgear wifi extender, run an ethernet port from that into the nighthawk but I know it would be better if the nighthawk was plugged into the main modem.

in summery, whats the difference between gaming on a console/PC with a wireless and wored connection to the Nighthawk RX500

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 2
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Re: Nighthawk RX500 Wireless vs. Wired Connection

Hi there - the XR500 is a beast so for Wireless performance, it's some of the best you can find. Obviously gaming wired is always better though - you could look into a gadget called a PowerLine Adapter which allows you to create an ethernet connection through your mains power supply.

So your ideal setup would be modem - > XR500 - > Powerline Adapter -> Gaming Device(s)

But if you have to play on wireless, you can't do much better. It may have as good a performance as wired, it just depends on so many external factors. For example, how many other devices use WiFi in your home and in neighbouring homes as this can cause a lot of Wireless noise that creates interference (so lag).

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7