× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk VPN Stops Responding

NightHawkTrying
Aspirant

Nighthawk VPN Stops Responding

My new NightHawk XR700 VPN stops working after a few hours or a day and I have to reboot the router to get it back.  No log errors or anything, it just stops responding.  I've tried disabling some QOS functions, etc, but nothing works.  Anyone have any ideas on this?

Model: XR700|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 17
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Re: Nighthawk VPN Stops Responding

Just to clarify, are you talking about the VPN Service function in the Settings menu, or the Hybrid-VPN feature?

Message 2 of 17
NightHawkTrying
Aspirant

The VPN Service feature in the settings menu.  Not responding again this morning after working for a few hours yesterday until I disconnected.

Message 3 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What settings are you using on the VPN service and how are you using it? What client software are you using and on what device?
Message 4 of 17
NightHawkTrying
Aspirant

Attached is a screenshot of my settings, I am using it with a Windows 10 desktop.  It seems the VPN portion of the router locks up even if I don't use it after being left alone for a few hours.  I have to reboot it using remote management on the mobile app and then it comes back for a time, but stops responding again after a few hours or hour of use.  Something continues to make the VPN service lock up.  I don't see any VPN errors in the logs.

Message 5 of 17
schumaku
Guru

The port 443/TCP is used explicitly for ReadyShare access, for the LAN side https://routerlogin.net (or https://[LAN-IP-address]), and well possible internally (!!!) for the remote access even if the WAN facing remote access port is configured to a different one. 

Any specific reason for using 443/TCP? Probably for an attempted bypass of some business firewall...

Message 6 of 17
NightHawkTrying
Aspirant

That's right, it's one of the few opened.  I could also try 80 of course or see what else is open.   But why would that cause the VPN service to lock up until the whole router is restarted?

Message 7 of 17
schumaku
Guru

I think the implementation is just very substandard, no checks for effectively required and already used ports - the VPN service does start somehow using this port, until something happens e.g. some other daemons restarting, on the Netgear routers. Not the first (and not the last time) we're reading this here...

Message 8 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I would also agree with not using 443, have you tried using the standard ports it suggests?
Message 9 of 17
NightHawkTrying
Aspirant

Ok, I'm trying something else then, I've set my AT&T router to NAT to a different port than 443 on the Nighthawk for VPN and set the port on the VPN to the default port.  So I am 443 to the AT&T router, then NATing back to 12974 on the Nighthawk.  I've also restart the Nighthawk to make sure all the services will be happy.  Trying it today.

Message 10 of 17
NightHawkTrying
Aspirant

Ok, it just locked up again, no change.  It worked for like a hour, then locked up, restarting the nighthawk brought it back.

Message 11 of 17
NightHawkTrying
Aspirant

Here's my config now, back to the default ports on the nighthawk, NAT-ing from 443 on the AT&T router.

Message 12 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Have you tried it without setting up the NAT on the ATT?
Message 13 of 17
NightHawkTrying
Aspirant

I don't see how that would work, the AT&T router/modem is in front of the Nighthawk, as it has to be becuase it's uverse and the fiber has to plug into their stupid modem.

Message 14 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Put it in modem mode if it has one, if not then bridge mode, if that isn't available then put the XR700 in it's DMZ then it should work fine.
Message 15 of 17
NightHawkTrying
Aspirant

Nope, tried all that, it does work fine, for a few hours, then the VPN locks up and is non-responsive until I reboot the router, same as before.

Message 16 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The only other thing I could think to try would be to disable QoS completely from the Anti-Bufferbloat menu as it could be interfering with the packets but if that doesn't work then I think it may be best for you to open a direct ticket with Netgear as it is their feature they may have some more ideas on this: http://support.netgear.com/
Message 17 of 17
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7